Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a fish in a cage … now what?  (Read 667 times)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a fish in a cage … now what?
« on: December 23, 2009, 09:44:30 pm »

So I built a carp-murdering pool. Open the floodgates to let river water in, wait for one or more carp to swim in, close the river-side floodgates and open the drain-side floodgates, then collect and butcher the bodies. Good eatin'.

As part of a little experiment, I dropped some cage traps into the pool before the last flood-drain cycle. Just to see what would happen, y'know.

Now I have a longnose gar in a cage and I don't know what to do with it.

I tried building the cage then un-assigning the fish, thinking maybe a dorf would let it out and it would suffocate on the floor. Didn't work. Dorf comes along, lets fish out, says "Oh no, poor fishy!" and puts it into another cage in the animal stockpile. I'm just assuming there's a fill-it-with-water step in the middle that's not visible. Or something.

Point is, I have no idea how to kill this fish. I guess I could put it in the zoo and see if anybody gets a happy thought from it, but to be honest I'd rather have my cage back so I can get on with my life.

Any suggestions?

Angry Pierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have a fish in a cage … now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:03:13 pm »

Do you have a butcher shop? Have you tried selecting the fish to be butchered from the [z] animal menu?

Or could you designate your murdering chamber as a pit  -> dump fish in pit? I haven't used a pit yet, so I'm not sure if this will work.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:10:11 pm »

The wee beastie doesn't show up in the animals list, I guess because it's not tame. And yes, I tried taming it at the kennel. No joy. I might need a dungeon master for that — I haven't checked the raws — but I'm pop-capped at 20 to keep growth slow for now. Bottom line is, the fish can't be assigned to a cage, it can't be slaughtered, and it can't be pit-dumped.

I could try putting a lever on the cage and pulling it to see what happens. But instead I said to heck with it, built an aquarium, did the cage-juggle dance to get it moved into it, and put him in the center of my great hall. Since my fort's right on the carp (and gar, and lamprey) infested river, it seems appropriate.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:29:46 pm »

You should be able to assign the fish to a built cage, though it'll have to be fairly close to the source cage or the fish will likely airdrown on the way (or at least scare away the dwarf performing the transfer).

Linking the cage and pulling the lever should dump the fish onto the floor where it will suffocate, at which point you can butcher it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.