Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: .WAV: It's for short sound effects.  (Read 2520 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: .WAV: It's for short sound effects.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 12:35:15 am »

DF is definitely not using OpenAL, and more than likely it's using SDL's mixer.  OpenAL has little to do with OpenGL other than having an API that's inspired by OpenGL.  It's not maintained by the same organization as OpenGL.  OpenGL is used in DF because it's the only way to get a decently fast framebuffer these days. 

Positioned sounds would be nice though (think every Impressions/Tilted Mill game), so count me in as a vote for OpenAL if and when sound effects are added.

Interesting... never used openAL myself so I didnt know too much about it.. come to think of it.. I have never used openGL either.. Everything I do tends to output to the windows command console window its running in... or has no output window at all.... Or in rare instances an actual window whenever the program is not completely web/config file interface.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

SSBR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .WAV: It's for short sound effects.
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 02:13:21 am »

I really don't understand this suggestion. Are you suggesting sound effects, or WAV files? If sound effects, that's all well and good and I assume there was a misunderstanding somewhere by someone, potentially me. If it's about WAV files I'm just slightly confused by the triviality of the suggestion, but it's not a bad one. I don't really care one way or the other, the time/space requirements for short time clips aren't significant-- it's just not what I'd expect.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:16:55 am by SSBR »
Pages: 1 [2]