Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF meets D&D: Can you kill off my players?  (Read 3275 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF meets D&D: Can you kill off my players?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 02:27:19 am »

Wouldn't be a problem in a D&D game, but I'll warn you right now. Pressure plates become non-existant in Adventure mode. Yes, that's with the init option on.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:51 am »

yeh, though t also works as a power source for fortress mode, thought thats not relevant here, it could be used since unless i'm understanding this wrongly this is a DF-inspired D&D game.

Also expanding on the undead thing, make a puzzle where if the players mess up the hatches jam and an army of pissed off undead ex-slaves are freed from their captivity
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 05:36:17 am »

Yes, the idea is to send my players into a dwarf fortress-inspired, well, Dwarf Fortress with the creative traps and thematics from here. It'll be fun for me reenacting it, and it'll be fun for them dying in exploring the various traps surprises.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 01:22:53 pm »

A wide hallway with caged wolves lining the walls. The hall will be dotted with pressure plates set to release the wolves.

I hope they've got good perception!
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 01:35:36 pm »

The players must cross an artificial pool. it is two z-levels deep, with smoothed walls. On the opposite end from the entrance, are pressure plates which cause the pool to drain through fortifications. So once the first player is across, the pool drains in a couple turns, either trapping someone in the bottom of the pool or across the gap.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 02:14:36 pm »

There must be a way for them to distrub the HFS if they look hard enough, this will most likely produce the obvious results (fiery death)

As well as traps include some dwarven architecture, such as grand halls (think moria, but encrusted with kitten bones and filled with images of demons, burning dwarves and cheese)

Also for a good fight have an arena with various freestanding walls, spikes and other such things, then if the party blunders into it lock them in and release a skeletal dragon.

And of course they beter be careful with those torches in the booze stockpile, wouldn't want an.. unfortunate accident... to happen would we?
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 02:37:41 pm »

Dwarven computer puzzle.

A large room with a row of five pressure plates, two levers, and four rows of steel hatches. There are five hatches per row, all of them are open. On the other side of the hatches are three passageways. Magma flows through the passageways on either side and down into what seems to be endless darkness.

Operation: The pressure plates are an input for the calculator, which is essentially a binary adder. Hatches are the display of the calculator - open are "zero", closed are "one". The two levers are the "add" lever and the "reset" lever. Players stand on the pressure plates and pull the "add" lever, which adds the result to the first row (closest to players). Naturally, the first result is an exact copy of the players' positions. Pulling the lever again will add the current input to the current result, closing the next row of hatches. Pulling the "reset" lever will drop all hatches and maybe a monster into the room from an unseen cavity above.

The danger: if the players don't understand the principle, they will either block off the path to the central passage, open a path for magma to reach them across the closed hatches, or both. An additional challenge could be provided with random monsters released into the room with each pull of the "reset" lever, and disabling the "reset" lever once the last combination has been entered.

The solution: Several, but the easiest can be don by just two players. One stands on a pressure plate, the other pulls the "add" lever. The third plate has to be pressed first, then the rest can be the first plate thrice, resulting in a straight line down the center and one tile of hot magma dangerously close to the adventurers but not quite deadly yet.

Expansion: The puzzle can be expanded and complicated in various ways. Using a bigger "display", hazards other than magma (like monsters), limiting the players' options in pressing the plates, locking the players in the room and adding a timer (like the pit not being quite bottomless and the magma slowly rising), are all viable options.

The trap isn't really possible in actual DF because hatches can't support other hatches, but seems like a neat idea otherwise.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 02:58:24 am »

Entering a Round room, the players will see a lever in the dead center, on pulling said lever a floodgate falls down over their entrance while the lever sinks into the ground to be covered by a Heavy Hatch. Thus locking them inside the room...

Around the Room at six points, making the shape of a Gear, a floodgate lifts to reveal Six levers. Above each lever is a carving one of the following six scattered out of this order...

A Yellow Sun...
A Blue Cloud...
A Green Wave...
A Brown Tree...
A Red Deer...
A White Skull..

On pulling the levers in the right order (as said above) another Floodgate opens allowing them to continue. BUT each time a Lever is pulled out of sequence one of the three Hatch in the ceiling above opens to release a torrent of water, each filling 1/3 of the rooms capacity. Thus meaning if they make three wrong guesses. Glug Glug Glug...

Give anyone who guesses something along the line of it being the Cycle of Life Extra EXP. If anyone guesses that the Gear shape represents the Turning of Time, Extra extra points...

The fun thing is, I bet this could be done in DF itself. With a bit of Maths and stuff. Me doing it on the other hand. Yeah right...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 03:54:51 am »

That sounds like a silent hill puzzle.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 06:00:09 am »

Got another for ya...
Got it from a Kickass DnD Webcomic known as 'Goblins'...

Have a stereotype dungeon. But at its entrance have a 'line' that when crossed summons a Humanoid a short distance before them, he announces that he is a 'Guidelike' Summon, on the initial summon he will give the rules to his use to the party. These rules are. The group may safely summon him three times, for each of these summons he will truthfully answer one question with a yes or no answer. If summoned a forth time, he will not answer any questions, but attack with a hellish attack of terrible agony...
The way to summon him though, is to say his name...

His name is. Noe... (saying his name whilst summoned will not count as a summon however.)

After he has give these rules he will disappear instantly...

Any time your players say the word No, Know or any other word that sounds exactly like his name, this includes Out of Character speakings just to be evil to them. AND I mean evil...

For the Segment that this has been ripped from see this site and the next few pages for one answer that can be used to solve this predicament...

http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20091109.html
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 06:35:25 am »

Yep, I've been following Goblins for quite some time now, but thanks!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:56 am »

What about the other one I had...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 06:58:49 am »

What about the other one I had...

It's awesome, and probably will find it's way into this fort!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 07:17:29 am »

Tell me if they live/get the meanings behind it...

Pages: 1 [2]