Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advanced Building Destruction  (Read 2139 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Building Destruction
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 09:05:24 am »

GREAT IDEA! I had not even considered vermin!

Giving vermin a more active role in fortress mode is important, termites eating through wooden constructs, ants raiding your food stocks, birds nesting in crevasses pecking at anyone walking past.

Perhaps even invasive Plants that the elves might bring, that slowly over take other wildlife, or completely destroy it (doesn't seem like elves but they gotta have something special). Perhaps vines and such that grow in your walls, and slowly destroying them, turning once was a smooth or engraved wall into a rough wall, or stone (although that might be going to far). Maybe they even destroy your farm plots and try pushing you into using a specific plant.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Building Destruction
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 12:38:47 pm »

Don't forget that different races ought to build their constructions at different sizes.

I'm poking around with size 4 ratmen. They could batter around each other's doors with some work, I'm sure. But they'd have an awfully hard time doing so to stone doors set up by, say, size 10+ giants.

Too, the material is not the sole consideration for how hard something is to break - or bypass. When you're dealing with metal, the attack is usually focused on the hinges or frame - maybe not deliberately, but the metal will channel force to them.

(Though it is worth noting that however tough it is, metal can and will bend under enough force; flexibility and ductility are part of its definition. That has little to do with the notion of relative hardness, which only applies for cutting.)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.
Pages: 1 [2]