Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melee weapon range  (Read 1477 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Melee weapon range
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:34:14 am »

As things are, all melee weapons have identical ranges. At the very least, certain weapons should force other weapons at a disadvantage. A sword, for example, has a much greater reack than a dagger. Assuming equal skill levels, the dagger user will have a much harder time striking his opponent because the sword user can engage from farther out. This doesn't even take into account weapons like the feudal pike and halberd, or the 16 foot Macedonian spear that should be able to strike from very great distances.

My suggestion is that hand to hand combat gain an additional "range" factor that would allow for distances less than one tile. Each weapon would have a range value that represents the range band that it was best in.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Melee weapon range
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:51:36 am »

Well, the exact area a single tile contains is a bit... iffy. I remember someone saying one tile can fit either 60 dwarves or a creature the size of Denmark.

Still, a melee range mechanic like this would be a welcome addition.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:55:22 am »

If maximum range is put in, minimum range should be too. A twelve foot long pike would be good for smakcing someone twelve feet away, but not someone one foot away.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:30:04 am »

Incursion did that. Polearms has 2 tile range and prevent enemy to come close unless he passes some defence check then it's useless.

It's pretty good mechanic but i wouldn't go futher and make difference within 1 tile. Maybe weapon length should add bonus to attack/defence. But this will make twohanded swords the best and only choice as it longest non-polearm.

Actually who cares when we just instagibbing everything with a crossbows...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:37:39 am »

But this will make twohanded swords the best and only choice as it longest non-polearm.

Which is the entire reason that I suggested that range should apply within tiles. A dagger or short sword would be very dangerous if the guy using it is too close to hit with a claymore.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:00:28 am »

Some weapons can extrapolate the length/size advantage without ever going into multitile advantages. This would require a major combat rewrite so it would be able to tell what distance the individuals are from eachother.

As well longer weapons should be able to strike larger enemies in areas that are normally too high. An individual with a knife would be highly unlikely to strike a dragon in the head while someone with a spear would more likely.

Weapons with absurd length coud have multitile advantages that melt away once someone closes the gap.

The problem however with giving these weapons this sort of advantage is in lack of multitile enemies... You would think the Pike would be excellent against a dragon because of its length, yet this becomes sort of confusing unless the dragon is soo large that the Pike is deemed not to lose its advantage

There are also Mount Lances which are HUGE! but which arn't REALLY used in the same respect as Pikes or Whips.

Which brings up weapon size Vs. Creature size.

So yes all confusing