Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows as Alarms  (Read 940 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows as Alarms
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:00:54 pm »

I've been using animals chained in my entryways to warn me of ambushers and the like.  And I've been wondering if there's a better way using windows.  If so, has anyone discovered it?  It seems like there ought to be some way to use the animal's reaction through a window to alert me to an intruder's presence, without killing the animal.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows as Alarms
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:22:47 pm »

I personally haven't gotten around to using windows yet, but for an animal to detect enemies in ambush mode, the two have to touch. If there's a window between them then they can't touch, so I don't think its possible.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »

The don't have to touch.  Animals detect hidden creatures within 2 (possibly 3) tiles of where they are at.  So if you can guarantee that an ambush will have 1 member pass right next to the window, you're golden for detection.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:45:56 pm »

I can confirm this, just having had a war dog spot a kobold thief through a fortification.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 04:17:48 pm »

So what happens once the animal sees the ambusher?  Normally you only get the notification once the animal dies.  I'm trying to think of some other way for the animal to attract attention.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:33:13 pm »

In my experience the alarm comes as soon as the animal 'sees' the hidden ambusher, not when it dies.  Which can happen while the ambusher is still a few squares away.  What determines if an ambusher is seen or not I don't know.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:09:13 pm »

Cage traps work to detect thiefs and such as well, just build a row of those at your entrance and you'll detect everything without having to chain up a new animal everytime it dies.
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »

Cage traps work to detect thiefs and such as well, just build a row of those at your entrance and you'll detect everything without having to chain up a new animal everytime it dies.

Everything but Kobolds and other trap-avoid creatures.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:46:42 pm »

All the creatures I'm worried about are TrapAvoid.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:05 pm »

My current fortress has the following alarm system:

Code: [Select]
XXXX
X§g^
XXXX

Small tunnel only 3 tiles deep, restrain an animal (I use groundhogs because they produce very little meat and thus aren't very useful for butchery) and put a cage trap in front of it.  Ambushers will often attempt to attack the nearest creature friendly to you, including tamed animals, so a tame animal out in the middle of nowhere looks like easy picking for them.  They spring the cage trap, alerting me of their presence moments before they kill the animal and gaining me a prisoner for later use for whatever diabolical means I deem necessary.

You could easily upgrade this simply by adding a stockpile for some kind of craft good right next to the animal restraint (in fact, now that I've thought of this I'm going to do it myself).  The stray item should attract thieves, and the item is guaranteed to always be next to your animal if you put it right up against the restraint, meaning the animal should always detect the thief.  Best case scenario, the thief flees your map or your animal kills it.  Worst case, it kills your animal, then flees the map.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils