Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some help getting a GCS farm to work.  (Read 1168 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some help getting a GCS farm to work.
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:03:14 pm »

My question just became moot as my GCS got hit by the hostile tamed critter bug...... soo..... :P

Now, I have read several of the threads scattered about which relate to GCS farming and have tried to make one myself, using Quietust's as a template ( http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41757.0 ). My GCS is tamed and I am using mountain gnomes (of which, a few always wander into my entrance stonefall traps every year) as bait. I know there is a huge risk to my booze stockpile using mountain gnomes, but I'm taking precautions.

Here is my setup:

I have modified it a few times with variations of doors, but thats how it looks right now. It did initially work a bit, but I had let the GCS and bait wander along the line of fortifications, but it wasn't working too well, so I let the GCS eat the gnome, then I tried another variation with some more doors to constrict the gnomes movement and it did seem to chase it, when that didn't work, the GCS didn't want to fire its web anymore. Its possible that the first configuration did work, but decided to change it too soon.

My first variation had doors on both ends of the fortifications, similar to the current one, with a pair of doors closing off the left section. When I tried the current configuration, the GCS did wham itself against the fortification, but didn't shoot web. Although when I tried to allow the doors to be pet passable, it did fire, but then went around to where it couldn't fire its web at the gnome.

I'm going to try goblins as soon as I can.

I also did try to chain the gnome, but nobody wanted to do it (even with 60 idlers, lol), then my DM decided to do it, but ended up killing the gnome :P .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:12:23 pm by smjjames »

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help getting a GCS farm to work.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:10:26 pm »

first, how did you manage to capture it?

second have tryied channels?
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbhGCS
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

with any luck the GCS silk will drop one z level down, or atleast still be collectible
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:20:35 pm »

How did I capture what? The gnome or GCS?

The GCS was pretty easy to capture, I used cage traps and a bait animal. I made a chamber next to the wall on the level the GCS is at, made the cage traps, installed a door just in case, chained up the bait animal and dropped down other bait animals from the level above to lure the GCS over to where it would see the primary bait animal.

For the gnomes, if they are stupid enough to path into my entrance (they have the booze guzzler tag and I always have a few hit my stonefall traps every year), they are stupid enough to blunder into cage traps.

Anyways, I got a partial success with the goblin, but the goblin went through the door and the GCS ate it, going to chain one up this time. It takes some experimentation, which I am doing, but just wanted some advice since this is my first one.

Edit: Also, take a look at the link I posted, Quietust didn't use channels and like he did, I'm using a bridge to prevent cancellations.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 04:09:59 pm »

Gah WTF!?!?! My GCS got hit by the hostile tamed resident critter bug. Why did this have to happen to me, :P

I decided to go and kill the GCS by adding the [AQUATIC] tag to it since I don't know how to deal with this bug otherwise, and I don't have Dwarf Companion.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:16:41 pm by smjjames »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 05:19:51 pm »

At a glance. Try making the gcs room 1 tile wide instead of 2. In my experience, this combined with seting and releasing both cages next to each other (with the fortification seperating them obviously) helps alot. You may want to try with a wild GCS next time. just toss a war dog or something in as bait. Also if your wild GCS has a name, it can open doors. This leads to FUN.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.