Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Case of the Annoying Jeweler  (Read 1021 times)

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
The Case of the Annoying Jeweler
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:19:02 pm »

Have you ever had a dwarf in your starting 7 that you had to kill off for the good of the colony?  I have.

So I start a new game, as I have often done, and start laying the foundations for some ridiculous project (in this case, a gigantic pyramid that stretches from the lowest Z-level to the highest).  I spend a good long time in pause mode, laying out the structure and planning what needs to be done first, and then I start the game and play for a half hour or so...

Eventually, I notice that most of my dwarves are blinking red unhappy.  Looking at one unhappy dwarf's profile, it says "He was forced to listen to somebody annoying lately."  Another, same thing.  And another.  The expedition leader has this, plus "He was cried on by an unhappy citizen lately."

Now, I'm no newbie to DF, but I've never seen this sort of thing before.  Dwarves have always seemed generally capable of getting along as long as there wasn't too much death.  The starting seven are usually especially hardy, willing to put up with hardship in order to establish a good colony.  Whining does not suit them.

So anyway, using "View Relationships", I see that many dwarfs have a grudge against the jeweler.  The jeweler has personality traits like "She is put off by authority and tradition", "She views helping others as an imposition on her time", "She likes cats for their aloofness"...  Yep, annoying.  So I set her to be a mason and tell her to wall herself up.  Instantly, everybody is happy again.  Including the jeweler.

So my question is...  What's the deal?  I have to scrifice 1/7th of my workforce in the critical first stage, just so everyone isn't unhappy all the time?  Can annoyingness be cured in a non-cheaty, non-death-inducing way?  Shouldn't an expedition make sure they can all get along before they start living in a cramped hole somewhere?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Case of the Annoying Jeweler
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:05:36 pm »

Maybe get your jeweler to do stuff that doesn't involve interacting with other dorfs. Maybe run a farm - then dump the crops through a hole in the floor into a food stockpile (where you can unforbid it). Bit micromanagey though :)

It does sound like an annoying aspect of play, but I have to say that I'm impressed at how Dwarf Fortress goes to this realism :)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:10:06 am »

sounds like your jeweler has the perfect personality to be your fortress's hunter ^_^
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:13:49 am »

Personally, I've not had that problem. My dwarves are always just happy to be alive, between the magma accidents, the goblin attacks, dangerous wildlife, and the like.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:35:58 am »

Personally, I've not had that problem. My dwarves are always just happy to be alive, between the magma accidents, the goblin attacks, dangerous wildlife, and the like.

See, that's usually the case.  I'm trying to imagine how annoying she must have been to pull this off.  Maybe she sang The Song That Never Ends all the way from the mountainhome.

Anyway, I went with the plan to wall her in and let her starve.  No one was sad, and her giant cave spider silk clothes came in handy when the trade caravans came.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 03:28:54 am »

You should have kept her alive and gave her her own little hermit fortress in the boonies  :)

Then when you get a sheriff, you could put the jail in her home  :D

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:02:34 am »

FYI, liking cats has nothing to do with other dwarves disliking that dwarf. I'm not sure where you got that conclusion; it's not as if dwarves can have any specific dislike for cats.

But yeah, some of her personality traits are probably just a bit extreme, leading to conflicts.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:26:21 pm »

FYI, liking cats has nothing to do with other dwarves disliking that dwarf. I'm not sure where you got that conclusion; it's not as if dwarves can have any specific dislike for cats.

But yeah, some of her personality traits are probably just a bit extreme, leading to conflicts.

I have nothing against liking cats.  Liking something for its aloofness seems strange.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:05 pm »

Liking cats makes the dwarf a liability.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:43:20 pm »

I have nothing against liking cats.  Liking something for its aloofness seems strange.

It's just flavor text, really. You could easily change it to read "grape-flavored saliva" or "fondness for antique furniture"; it doesn't really have much bearing on anything, although I can see why this might not be obvious.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:53:47 pm »

It's just flavor text, really. You could easily change it to read "grape-flavored saliva" or "fondness for antique furniture"; it doesn't really have much bearing on anything, although I can see why this might not be obvious.

Just for flavour, man, calm down ^o^ He probably didn't mean it as in everyone hates her love of cats!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.