Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map with no creatures  (Read 812 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Map with no creatures
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »

I just embarked on a marshland map. No creatures at all, other than vermin. Is this normal, or did I somehow acquire a bug?  Anyone else ever experience this?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Map with no creatures
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:07:37 pm »

I played a game of Kobold Camp in a PERFECT place like this. No vicious nasties to hurt my backwards kobolds, who happily fished from the brook in the middle of the camp.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:14:39 pm »

some will probably show up after a while.  Its surprising there aren't at least a couple hoary marmots or whatever though. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:25:37 pm »

This happened to me a couple times in other maps (not a marshland), they usually show up pretty soon though.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:47:52 pm »

This happened to me a couple times in other maps (not a marshland), they usually show up pretty soon though.
My kobold camp map had no animals show up. Ever. The worst we got was goblin snatchers and elven seiges. Stupid elves.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:48:44 pm »

Given that there's a limited population of wild animals, it's not beyond plausibility that you could arrive only to find they've all already died. I've never experienced it myself, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »

My very first fort was like this, but I thought nothing of it, because it was my very first fortress and I had no idea what was going on anyway.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:24:46 pm »

I played on a serene swamp on a remote island and I never got any wildlife, none in the ocean and none on land. I thought it was kind of cool.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:23 am »

There's no benign swamp creatures in vanilla df. The only non-predator creatures in swamp/marsh maps are slugmen and snailmen and they're only in savage areas. So if your map is calm/serene/sinister, no animals.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 02:07:14 am »

It's happened to me a few times.

Once I embarked on dwarf heaven and there were no creatures, and another time on my 38747384th reclaim attempt at a carp infested river there were no creatures.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:18:53 am »

Thanks, guys. That makes more sense, then. I was expecting at least a few creatures. Hope I dont get any bonecrafter moods :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 09:50:01 am »

Try out terrifying mashlands for a change.

Oh the beak dogs...

Once had a wave of immagrants show up at the exact time and place as a pack of 7 beakdogs. Lets just say the engraver engraved many Bs.

They can be tamed and used as war beak dogs though.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!