Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterskins  (Read 932 times)

Erling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterskins
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:07 pm »

Hello, people. I had already read old topics, but I haven't found necessary information yet. Please, help me.
I have a military squad of 10 marksdwarfs. They all have backpacks and waterskins. Backpacks are OK, soldiers carry rations and eat while patrolling. But waterskins seem to be empty. Using inventory menu I can see that backpacks contain food, but after pressing "enter" on waterskins I can't see any record concerning water. And soldiers run to booze stockpile every time.
I have a well in my fortress ("q" menu shows "bucket full" status).
Also, I haven't seen my soldiers visiting well for refilling waterskins.

What's wrong?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:10:15 pm by Erling »

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Waterskins
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 01:17:03 pm »

Did you allow them to carry water in the squad menu?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:24:21 pm »

try building a second bucket.  you should have 2 buckets one for the well and one sitting around for people to bring water.  not sure if it is necessary though, are your soldiers on duty? soldiers seem to only get supplies when they are off duty (or get supply's more when they are off duty), is it possible that your well dried up? are other dwarfs drinking form said well?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Erling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:04:48 pm »

So, looks like I've settled my problem.

The reason was status "bucket full". I just didn't know, that well must have status "active" for being used!
I'd build a new well over a murky pool and it's gained status "active" at once. However, my first well, built over an artificial underground reservoir, still has status "bucket full"
Now I'm really interested, how "bucket full" status can be turned into "active"... Looks like there's an old topic about that.

Thank everyone!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:07:30 pm by Erling »