Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Picking Skills?  (Read 1135 times)

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
Picking Skills?
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »

Hey everyone what are the ranks of weapons and other stuff if you put points into it at the beginning?
I'm also wondering if you can like Wrestle with weapons to purposely stab people in certain places?

Thanks in advance

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Picking Skills?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »

I generally put a few points into my weapon of choice (enough to qualify as a soldier who starts with all the gear), get swimmer up to at least novice level, then plug the rest into shield user.

Shield user will save your life, and you get better at it faster if you already have some skill.  The weapon skill is just there to start off with a full set of equipment, and to disable a couple wolves so I can start training wrestling on them in some degree of safety.

Wrestling can be trained easily, swimming can be trained just by moving around in water (but you can't move around in water if you don't have a level or two in swimming already), and armor user is trained by doing anything while wearing armor.  If I want throwing skill, well, that's pretty easy to train too.

And no, you can't target with weapons.  You can wrestle with weapons, but that basically just means strangling someone with your sword.  You could be using your leg for all the difference it makes.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:40:06 pm »

Pretty much that, yeah. Note that armor user only reduces the weight of the armor you are wearing, as far as i know.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:40:57 pm »

Which is actually very useful.  It means that you aren't slowed down quite so much when wearing a full set of armor.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »

Adamantine is not all that heavy 8)
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:48:58 pm »

Thanks.  ;D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »

I've noticed that you get a weapon based on your highest weapon skill level(and race), and you'll get NOTHING if that skill is wrestling. Also, if multiple weapon skills are highest, wrestling takes precedence over them all(meaning no weapon). I think axe is next in precedence.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:58:25 am »

I generally get swimming up to normal level ('swimmer') and put the rest in my weapon skill. Weapon skills level horrendously slow compared to shield/armour using and wrestling. And I like the titles like 'spearmaster' or 'master lasher'.

It requires me to initialy train wrestling on zombies or helpless peasants, but it saves me time in the end. Nicking a good steel shield from the dwarves or my dead fortresses and then training shield usage on wolves works out well.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:49:31 am »

I start with proficient weapon and skilled shield, armor and wrestling with novice swimming.  Its a good starting build that keeps hordes of wolves from being much of a problem.

The single swimming level lets me quickly train in the plentiful pools up to (no prefix) where you won't drown when you dodge into water. Without a level in swimming you pretty much need to go to the ocean to find a body of water with a ramped entrance.

I pretty much always become an elite wrestler by wrestling random animals (you mostly need to make sure you don't strangle them to death).  After wrestling is up to adept I alternate with going prone and waiting to train shield and armor user.

Weapon skill is of course super slow, but proficient is good enough to kill most any non-elephant/megabeasts. After depopulating a few forest retreats I can usualy chop those. (of course legendary wrestling lets you throw the elephants/megabeasts, gouge eyes and strangle, but where's the fun in that?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 12:01:25 pm »

My build:

Expert (weapon of choice)
Armour User
Swimmer
Novice Shield User

That leaves me with exactly 0 left over points, so absolutely no waste! Not to mention, this starts you off with the legendary and ancient art of 'swimming', armour, a shield and your weapon of choice. Wrestling is so ridiculously easy to train (hit something once with your weapon, grab throat, make chokehold, strangle till dead) that I don't bother to sink points into it.

Oh, and I use ambushing and throwing a lot. I try to throw till my armour doesn't weigh me down (from attribute bonuses)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:20:11 am »

Recently I've always started with a decent amount of swimming. I usually go spears though since I want to someday come across a sea monster or something in the ocean to do battle with. So far I haven't come across any, so I might start a fort up by some ocean and put one in a swimming pool.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 07:32:40 pm »

Yeah, a basic amount of swimming is imperative. I cringe whenever I think back on my last heroic champion who could cut down fleets of enemies, but ended up dodging off an edge into a murky pond. As I dont savescum, I could only hang my head in despair as a legend died in probably the lamest manner possible.
Since then, swimming, yes. Always.