Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room Quality  (Read 1716 times)

PieMaster1134

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Room Quality
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:36:35 pm »

Does anyone know the specifics on improving room quality for nobles?

Is it merely the size of the room, the quality of the items within or smoothing/engraving the room.

Frankly I have no idea what they want.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Room Quality
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »

They like all of that.  Larger rooms with more smoothiness and more engravings and more buildings in it, especially statues.  Basically anything you put in it adds to the value of the room, and increasing the value of the actual floors and stuff does too. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:52:19 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Room

The value of the room is essentially the value of the objects in the room plus the value of smoothed or engraved walls and floors.  I think the material of the surfaces in the room has an affect on it as well, so obsidian walls would be worth more than microcline walls :D

The size of the room, I believe, has no direct affect on its value, other than allowing you to stuff more crap into the room, and engrave more surfaces.

You can also make the nobles believe it is worth more by putting things they like in the room.  If they like things made of gold, putting gold items in the room will increase its worth (for them) more than for somebody who has no preference for gold.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:55:42 pm by DiscoPony »

PieMaster1134

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:10:43 pm »

Awesome, now my nobles can be quiet.

Another question regarding engravings. Is there a way to read them in fortress mode?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 05:13:02 pm »

k
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

LordChess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:05:58 pm »

If you engrave a floor, then build another floor over it, are both floors counted towards the room's value?

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:54:11 pm »

I wish.......
The more valuble room= the happier noble= the less demands= more probobal suicide.....im goin to hell
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:55:31 pm »

Also, if you want the full detail of the engraving with "k", you need to change one setting in your init file.

I have heard that putting a floor over an engraving not only does not add the values together, it also destroys the engraving.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:32:44 pm »

I have heard that putting a floor over an engraving not only does not add the values together, it also destroys the engraving.

This is the troof.  I use this to get more masterpiece engravings on the floor of rooms I want to be really valuable, simply build floors over any non masterpiece engravings and resmooth/engrave, repeat as necessary until all the floor tiles are masterpiece.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:24:17 pm »

The room size does affect the room's value - because there are more floor and wall tiles. Even without smoothing or engraving, an extra wall or floor tile is still an increase in the room's value.