Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming/training various animals  (Read 722 times)

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming/training various animals
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:27:45 pm »

I asked this in another thread, but upon reflection, it might deserve it's own thread.

Basically I want to know more about animal AI. Is it hardcoded? Is it the same for all animals?

Taming, as I understand it, means the animal is now docile. It will not attack dwarves. Anything can be tamed, most commonly mules, cows, dogs, cats, etc. More exotic things can be tamed by the Dungeon Master, or purchased from Elves. Am I right so far?

TRAINING is giving a specific skill, such as a Hunting or War Dog. Right now it ONLY applies to dogs?

Is there a way to mod the .ini files so that other animals can be trained? Such as War Cows or War Bears or War Cougars or anything else?

If so, will they actually fight? Right now I occassionally chain up some tamed Cougars and other exotics sold by elves, but other than spotting thieves, they don't do much. I'd love to assign War animals of exotic varieties.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming/training various animals
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

To make animals fight, just go into their raw file, make sure [PET] is there, and add [trAINABLE]. You'll then have the option to train them in a kennel. If you want exotic animals (dragons, for instance) to be trained by a common trainer rather than the dungeon master, change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET]. For added fun, add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and have the option to bring them on embark!

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:10:05 pm »

Sweet. Will the Kennel list animal types separately or just say "Train a War Animal" and pick a random one?

Also, once an exotic is TAMED by the Dungeon Master, can anyone TRAIN it?

Now I will go make War Cheetahs to guard my gate!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:14:20 pm »

When "train war animal" is selected, the trainer will choose an animal based on how long it has been in the fort, with the first arrivals/additions being trained first and the latest additions last.  You can affect this order by caging/chaining the ones you don't want trained and the trainer will move down the list until he/she reaches an animal that can be trained.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:46 pm »

So caged animals will never be trained? Excellent...

Is the same true for assigning war animals? Caged animals cannot be assigned?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:25 pm »

War animals can be assigned regardless of cage/chain status.  When they're assigned, their dwarf comes and frees them if they're caged.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 03:13:05 pm »

Important note: Animals that are Named, including Megabeasts, ARE NEVER FRIENDLY. At least, your dwarves will think they aren't, and attack them, and they fight back. So...bad idea.

Oh, and animals that show up during sieges, like Beak dogs, are also unfriendly even after being 'tamed'.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:45:59 pm »

Good to know. Also (for anyone else reading), I believe that named animals cannot be trained. At least, I've had a few named dogs that could not be trained into war dogs. They had earned titles fighting off gobbos or some such.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 11:03:51 pm »

Is there a flaglist for the raws that shows all the possible flags and what they do?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »

Creature Tokens.

No need to necro all these old threads. If you've got a bunch of questions, you might as well make your own thread where you can put all of them so that you don't clutter up the forum.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.