Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Hermit of Groveshoots  (Read 868 times)

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Hermit of Groveshoots
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

The miners never saw it coming.

While the other pleasant 48 dwarves of Groveshoots ate, drank and partied in preparation for the coming winter, two miners underneath the fort slowly dug for gems, and instead found something this fort could never withstand.

Hoping they had finally found the magma pipe, they eagerly dug through the warm stone towards what they thought would be obsidian and industry. Instead, a dark pit loomed below them. They ran in fear as a fireball shot out, striking one down. The other miner sprinted as fast as his stumpy legs could hurl him, towards the populated upper levels.

"Horrors! Demons in the Deep!"

The 8 champions of Groveshoots ran towards the bottom levels, unarmed in their haste. They attempted to grapple the now revealed devils, but to no avail. They were slowly consumed, running in flames for water. They didn't make it. Screams and cries rang through teh hallways. Coffins were overturned, the tombs of Groveshoot's heroes desecrated. Dwarves withered in agony and flames. The clouds of smoke rolled through the hallways, the only warning of the impending attacks. As the remaining 3 dwarves of Groveshoots huddled in the barracks, watching the spirits of fire devour their beloved home, they readied themselves to charge the demons. Maybe they could take one down. A demon crashed through one of the doors, and instantly killed them all.

Two weeks later, I arrived. Our reclaiming party numbered 70 strong. We thought this fortress would easily be ours. As we surveyed the vista of burning grasslands and scattered clothing, some of us began to think again. I was one who was deactivated to help clean up. As I prepared myself to go down into the depths, a demon leaped up. It fireballed 4 dwarves before succumbing to a hail of arrows, but three more ran to cover his fallen corpse. The battalion who had been sent to the pits to see if any were left had one survivor. He ran out, insane, and managed to relay one last message before running out naked to safer pastures:

"There are too many."

Several other battalions ended the same way. Wounded and burning dwarves cried out for water. but the well was guarded by a demon and several piles of dwarf bone. Our reclaim party was whittled down by demon attacks and dehydration. A miner who dug a tunnel to the underground river was killed by mudmen. Finally, 5 of us remained. As they starved around me, I was helpless. Now I am alone. I am stuck here. I have nowhere to go.

I dug myself a small home, to get away from the ruined carcass of the old fort. I don't know what I will do later, but for now... I will survive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, when digging out my catacombs my miners hit a !!clown!! pit, who proceeded to massacre my entire fort and then some. The reclaim party managed to kill them all off but was left with five dwarves, 4 of which were killed by mudmen and cave crocodiles. So I decided to try a hermit challenge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The hermit fort so far.

Zon, my hermit.

Demon death count. It's 29, which means there's probably one !!clown!! still running around... meaning Fun. Also, no dead ringleader... more fun!

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: The Hermit of Groveshoots
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 01:44:50 pm »

Cool, have your hermit get to epic stats then wrestle all the remaining clowns.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:36:04 pm »

Dig, dig, dig.

Sleep, dig.

Brew, plant dig, dump dig.

As life became possible, it became monotonous as well. The demon threat was annihilated, mostly. Nobody was attacking. Zon had peace.

"Your ruler has arrived, dressed as a peasant."

Wait, what?!

A dungeon master and the queen? What did they expect here, besides death, rot and sub-par beer?
Zon quickly slammed the door shut.

"Excuse me..." The Queen shouted through the locked door. "Hello...?"

"There's nothing here" Zon shouted back. "Nothing you want."

The Dungeon Master paused from gathering cloaks. "There's another entrance over here, your majesty-" She was cut off by a loud roar from one of the resident mudmen. "-maybe not."

The two nobles resorted to sitting outside Zon's door, scrounging food left by the reclaim party and dodging mountain goats, and waiting for an immigrant wave to dig them a home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was unexpected... the Queen is actually pretty cool, but the Dungeon Master is pretty blah. If an immigrant wave shows up then they will probably rebuild the fort around Zon, which will be fun.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:08:22 pm by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:13:30 pm »

The first part made me interested. The second made me post in there to express admiration.

And to get this thread into my 'updated topics' list :3

I hope for the best 'Fun' for Zon!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:18:53 pm »

Wha? Dungeon Master is awesome! I say let them in but no one else. The only cool nobles there are, also you got the Queen is because you had hit adamantine I believe.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 10:09:31 am »

Tap tap tap.
Tap tap tap.
Tap tap tap.

Zon made a door to get her mind off the nobles outside. Were they gone? What if goblins ambushed them? What if the Demon got them? Would the dwarves blame her? She pounded out yet another door, then checked outside. Maybe she could grab some wood for anothe-

"Why hello there!" the Dungeon Master shouted. "Finally coming out of your hole, huh?"
"Godammit" Zon muttered under her breath. She thought about slamming the door again, but she decided against it. You didn't mess with a noble unless you felt like going down the mines in a short stone box.
The Queen meandered around a dry murky pool. "Thikut, are you talking to yourself agai- hey, she finally opened up her door! Feel like sharing your treasures, huh?"
"Treasure?" asked Zon. "Where?"
"You know, adamantite..?" asked the Queen.
"Give me migrants, a 200 dwarf army and about 200 years and we could retake that pit, yeah." Zon shot back, irritated. "You wonder why I'm all alone? Those dwarves didn't get eaten by the goats." The goats looked slightly irritated about this. Or maybe Zon just needed a bit of sleep.
Thikut, the Dungeon Master, and the Queen had no answer to that, so they instead stormed off in a huff towards the dining room. Zon pounded out two chairs and a table before passing out on the only bed in this hole in the ground. "Adamantite...heh. Good luck getting past the cave crocodiles."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, since people wanted it I decided to let the Nobles in. Sorry my updates are so short, but I don't have much free time :(. Right now an invisible goblin ambush is running around outside, as I know after, er, savescumming and a dead Queen. Hopefully some expendables migrants will show up and help clear up this...disaster. I'll try and upload a map to the DFMA later, if anybody cares.
Also, thanks for the compliments :).

Edit: Wait, I forgot pictures!

That's the only major expansion to the mini-fort. The tunnels in the upper right is the old hematite mining operation. It was invaded by Mud-men, and now lizard-men and cave crocodiles. The bones are the bones of 8 stupid brave soldiers who attacked them. A mud-man tearing dwarves limb from limb is...disturbing. And that's the only ore (besides clownite) I've found so far... well, that's what migrants are for.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:16:33 am by Rotten »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:30:22 am »

I love it, also awesome, I count as 'people' now  :D .