Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The epic of the Crusaders against Gobliniods.  (Read 1963 times)

The Mechswordsman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The epic of the Crusaders against Gobliniods.
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:05:59 pm »

Alright, I am a fairly new player to DF, and so far I have managed to learn most of the basic functions and the Z-axis in a few days, and know how to establish a semi effective Fort. 

Although being new, I can't figure out what exactly I am doing wrong to not get Migrants (Unless they rarely show up in the first season).

Despite this, I thought it would be a fun idea to have a whole shitload of fun.  Although it wasn't nessecarily a good idea.

I got the idea to try making a fortress that is not only in Haunted land, but in the proximity of a Goblin Fortress.  Now, considering that this map is angled so that there is maximum distance between my base-camp and said Goblin Fort.  Now, I prepared Carefully by getting Two miners to minimize the time spent outside and in the open, a mason/stone crafter, one dwarf with all the skills needed to craft metal and more weapons later, then finally one dwarf with Carpentry and wood-cutting.  The last two dwarves I winded up giving the maximum starting Axe-dwarf skill I could get.  In hind-sight, I probably should of made one of them use a cross-bow so the carpenter could use a axe to cut trees, so I will probably take them off gaurd duty once I go back to the game and order them to just start chopping down trees.  I have also set the crafters to fish while I am waiting for the miners to hollow out a living area.

The goblin fort is at the Northeast corner of the map, and is three levels high from ground level.  My camp is two levels high. up on the elevation from ground level.  So far, either the goblins have not noticed me or just haven't reached me yet.  This might take alot of time due to elevation diffirences since they have to leave their fort from the ground level.

My plans are to hold out for migrants and reinforcements while fortifying the position, then once I get enough men to take advantage of one weakness in the fort by under-mining (Literally).  After a long examination of the fort, I noticed on the second level that a smooth goblin wall is directly adjacent to the side of the mountain at that level.  Once I get my men built up, I plan to tunnel all the way there, then as soon as that hole is breached, to rush in with most of my fighting men (Whatever isn't needed to keep my front door safe for abit) and start killing the Goblins while their gaurd is down... if they are ever off gaurd (which they should occasional drop their weapons and work like normal dwarves do, for food if they don't already.)

Will this plan work if I do not have enough fun to finish me off before I get settled in? WHAT I SAY!

Also also, I could use advice and tips... besides the 'Just give up' one, since I have a terrible problem with doing that.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The epic of the Crusaders against Gobliniods.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:32 pm »

Your overthinking this, they won't attack till your first siege, you should have enough dwarves to destroy them way before then.

Of course, this is great for role-playing purpose's.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

The Mechswordsman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:42:38 pm »

Your overthinking this, they won't attack till your first siege, you should have enough dwarves to destroy them way before then.

Of course, this is great for role-playing purpose's.

I'd like to say that too much caution is never a bad thing.

Paranoia on the other hand will get your hatchet stuck in some random sod's skull.

Assssss for roleplaying, I figure the best way to survive with dwarves, is to think like Dwarves. *Nod nod.*

And I just check... turns out that I only scrolled up two levels and was like "Yeah, this place is big"... I checked again, the thing goes up 15 levels above ground level >_<.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:54:59 pm by The Mechswordsman »

The Mechswordsman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 12:55:08 am »

The strangest thing is happening.

It seems that the local inhabitance, the Gobliniods are too occupied by other matters to notice us, even though they could easily out-number and swarm us.  The local monsters of this godless and forsaken place seem to have a knack for attacking the goblins in force, seeing as they have made it impossible to ignore their presence.

In the long run, it would seem that we have been spared from both of them.  Although, the chasm in which all said fighting is occuring in can be... problematic.  Extremely problematic, considering that our first caravan from home might decide to take a diffirent path then the one we did, and end up on the other side of it with a War-zone inbetween them and us.

A proposed solution, but not really one that will truely work is to burrow under them, until we eventually reach the other side... then tunnel upwards until we meed them again.  The problem with this plan is, is that the Chasm is not only pock-marked with large ponds, but also has a stream running through it.  If we hit one of those pockets of water on accident, then the whole pathway to the caravan would obviously flood and not only kill whoever is down there, but also leave us very stranded, which could spell doom!

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:58:29 am »

Like Dogstile tried to say, embarking on a goblin fortress causes them to be nonhostile.

Until, that is, members of their civilization that are hostile to you arrive.  Such as a goblin ambush or siege.  Then every single goblin on the map will become hostile and do their best to kill you. 

Have Fun(tm)!
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

The Mechswordsman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:07:35 am »

Like Dogstile tried to say, embarking on a goblin fortress causes them to be nonhostile.

Until, that is, members of their civilization that are hostile to you arrive.  Such as a goblin ambush or siege.  Then every single goblin on the map will become hostile and do their best to kill you. 

Have Fun(tm)!

>_> Indeed I will try. I hope a Megabeast comes and starts mauling them.

But I do have some layered defenses already planned out.  Since I am a noob and have no idea how to made a Draw-bridge, I am just going to make a small normal over a moat I am going to make by draining water pockets in the side of the mountains and from the local ponds.

Is it possible to use stone to construct artifical buildings outside the mountain... like say, straffing both sides of the bridge on my side of it?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:51:03 am »

But I do have some layered defenses already planned out.  Since I am a noob and have no idea how to made a Draw-bridge, I am just going to make a small normal over a moat I am going to make by draining water pockets in the side of the mountains and from the local ponds.

Make a drawbridge by going to the build menu, then the bridge, so b->g then by pressing w, a, d, or s, you can change the orientation of which way it raises. Drawbridges need a land anchor unlike retractible bridges meaning that the direction it raises in needs to have land under it. You can raise and lower it by attaching it to a lever.

Also, you are overthinking it. Your biggest problem will probably be the demon of the goblin tower, if there is indeed one, which there usually is. It should be at the very top of the tower and usually hangs out there. If you have 3 axe champions, you should be able to take the tower though, depending on however many archers/crossbowmen they have.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

The Mechswordsman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:57:10 am »

Make a drawbridge by going to the build menu, then the bridge, so b->g then by pressing w, a, d, or s, you can change the orientation of which way it raises. Drawbridges need a land anchor unlike retractible bridges meaning that the direction it raises in needs to have land under it. You can raise and lower it by attaching it to a lever.

Also, you are overthinking it. Your biggest problem will probably be the demon of the goblin tower, if there is indeed one, which there usually is. It should be at the very top of the tower and usually hangs out there. If you have 3 axe champions, you should be able to take the tower though, depending on however many archers/crossbowmen they have.

I checked the roster.  They have 30 normal archers and about 5-6 elite archers.  Numbers not appoximate.  They also have at least 200 population just from looking at the list... it just goes on and on and on and on and on!

... But just think of the Spoils! *Thats thinking like a Dwarf there!*

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 02:43:13 am »

On the lines of thinking like a dwarf, collapse the tower before the first ambush/siege. Profit  ???
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

The Mechswordsman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 03:56:29 am »

On the lines of thinking like a dwarf, collapse the tower before the first ambush/siege. Profit  ???

... Thats just plain awesome >_>.

But it would be abusing the Mechanics, because think about it. Even though the game would allow it because it is still in alpha phases do you really think that the goblins, freindly or otherwise would just let your dwarves start leveling their home?  I find this kinda doubtful... But how would I go about doing this? Would I collapse all the inside walls, then go about dismantling the outside wall?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:58:43 am by The Mechswordsman »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:42:39 am »

think dwarvy!
Dig under it man!
but before you dig out the last square make a support so your dwarves all survive.
Hook that support upto a lever.
Put a door next to the undergound pit which is dug under the tower.
Get all dwarves out of there
lock the door.
pull lever.
Wait and watch as the lag plays out.
PARTY LIKE ITS 1999.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 09:25:37 am »

Alright, I am a fairly new player to DF, and so far I have managed to learn most of the basic functions and the Z-axis in a few days, and know how to establish a semi effective Fort. 

Although being new, I can't figure out what exactly I am doing wrong to not get Migrants (Unless they rarely show up in the first season).

Despite this, I thought it would be a fun idea to have a whole shitload of fun.  Although it wasn't nessecarily a good idea.

I got the idea to try making a fortress that is not only in Haunted land, but in the proximity of a Goblin Fortress.  Now, considering that this map is angled so that there is maximum distance between my base-camp and said Goblin Fort.  Now, I prepared Carefully by getting Two miners to minimize the time spent outside and in the open, a mason/stone crafter, one dwarf with all the skills needed to craft metal and more weapons later, then finally one dwarf with Carpentry and wood-cutting.  The last two dwarves I winded up giving the maximum starting Axe-dwarf skill I could get.  In hind-sight, I probably should of made one of them use a cross-bow so the carpenter could use a axe to cut trees, so I will probably take them off gaurd duty once I go back to the game and order them to just start chopping down trees.  I have also set the crafters to fish while I am waiting for the miners to hollow out a living area.

The goblin fort is at the Northeast corner of the map, and is three levels high from ground level.  My camp is two levels high. up on the elevation from ground level.  So far, either the goblins have not noticed me or just haven't reached me yet.  This might take alot of time due to elevation diffirences since they have to leave their fort from the ground level.

My plans are to hold out for migrants and reinforcements while fortifying the position, then once I get enough men to take advantage of one weakness in the fort by under-mining (Literally).  After a long examination of the fort, I noticed on the second level that a smooth goblin wall is directly adjacent to the side of the mountain at that level.  Once I get my men built up, I plan to tunnel all the way there, then as soon as that hole is breached, to rush in with most of my fighting men (Whatever isn't needed to keep my front door safe for abit) and start killing the Goblins while their gaurd is down... if they are ever off gaurd (which they should occasional drop their weapons and work like normal dwarves do, for food if they don't already.)

Will this plan work if I do not have enough fun to finish me off before I get settled in? WHAT I SAY!

Also also, I could use advice and tips... besides the 'Just give up' one, since I have a terrible problem with doing that.

If you want safety from goblins in the towers, then juts out a three-wide channel in front of the door to each tower, then when you get boerd, use walls and a huge pump stack coming from a river to drown them all!