Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Challenge:Avatar of Armok  (Read 12627 times)

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge:Avatar of Armok
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2009, 02:54:02 am »

A crack team of highly skilled, heavily equipped elves may stand the best chance, as they're fairly quick, but not quick enough to compare. The Avatar may not be little more than a blurr of read and death if an Elf is at superelvenly agile, though
yeah but who the hell wants to play elves.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2009, 12:28:15 pm »

A crack team of highly skilled, heavily equipped elves may stand the best chance, as they're fairly quick, but not quick enough to compare. The Avatar may not be little more than a blurr of read and death if an Elf is at superelvenly agile, though

Cacame

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2009, 04:34:35 pm »

Cacame

Touché

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2009, 06:08:43 pm »

Has anyone thought of using worldgen to kill this thing? Have it simulate the world for like 10,000 years and due to the way elves don't die of old age (and just keep multiplying), you may eventually get huge forces of elves against the Avatar, which may be able to weaken it.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought that the ideas about a very hot creature melting adamantine weapons that are hacking at it are going to be implemented in the upcoming release, not the current version.

In my own personal opinion, the best way would be a corridor with 100 or so champion adamantine clad crossbow dwarves, and behind them a wall of "fire at will" ballistae. The legendary crossbow dwarves are not to kill the monster, just keep it distracted long enough to be hit by a ballista bolt (and also absorb fireballs etc), and maybe even get a single bolt hit.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2009, 04:28:10 pm »

Has anyone thought of using worldgen to kill this thing? Have it simulate the world for like 10,000 years and due to the way elves don't die of old age (and just keep multiplying), you may eventually get huge forces of elves against the Avatar, which may be able to weaken it.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought that the ideas about a very hot creature melting adamantine weapons that are hacking at it are going to be implemented in the upcoming release, not the current version.

In my own personal opinion, the best way would be a corridor with 100 or so champion adamantine clad crossbow dwarves, and behind them a wall of "fire at will" ballistae. The legendary crossbow dwarves are not to kill the monster, just keep it distracted long enough to be hit by a ballista bolt (and also absorb fireballs etc), and maybe even get a single bolt hit.

I am afraid that I just found out that the avatar of armok is 250000 Urists while adamantine melts at 25000 Urists, so anything beside it will melt/burn/detonate

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2009, 05:41:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure projectiles such as the ballista bolts that are in-flight are unaffected by any thing short of a wall or raised bridge.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2009, 09:13:15 am »

I'm pretty sure projectiles such as the ballista bolts that are in-flight are unaffected by any thing short of a wall or raised bridge.

but they still take time to hit their target, and the avatar can just move out of the way, also, if you are playing on a glacier map and it comes along, it can simply melt through walls to slaughter all your dwarves (don't forget that it kills in one hit)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2009, 10:37:23 am »

but they still take time to hit their target, and the avatar can just move out of the way,
Not if the only place for it to go also has its own bolt headed for it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2009, 11:01:45 am »

Just thinking... maybe we should put on the wiki, the basilisk got on the wiki and this thing would make a charred, smashed plie of bones from a basilisk...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]