Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problems draining ocean draining into aquifer (was "Floodgates not stopping...")  (Read 3005 times)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floodgates not stopping ocean draining into aquifer!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »

Your first diagram is EXACTLY what I did.  Sh*t.  I'll have to try doing it like your second diagram.  Does it still work if there's a staircase to the surface at the top of the "hump" in your second diagram, or do I have to do it all sealed?

Since you're dumping the water into an aquifer, ordinarily I'd say it'd be fine.  But the initial point when the ocean drains is probably still going to flood -- if your staircase is under the top level of the ocean, I would imagine it would flood.  If it is at the same level or higher than the top level of the ocean, you should be fine.

But, when in doubt, put a hatch cover on it.

Edit:  And is there a way to arrange it with gravity feed instead of pumps?  Or, if I do use pumps, I wonder if with enough pumps running full steam before I open it, if they can keep the water low enough to allow a miner to survive breaching the ocean floor?

With a gravity feed, any levels of the ocean that are at the aquifer level + 1, or lower, will not drain.  Referring back to my diagram:

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXocean
XXXXXXXX  _Pp Xocean
XXaquiferX pP_Xocean
XXXXXXXXXX Pp   XXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX___XXXX

If you removed the pumps, so it was like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXocean
XXXXXXXX      Xocean
XXaquiferX    Xocean
XXXXXXXXXX      XXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX___XXXX

Only the top layer of the ocean would drain.  The layer immediately above the aquifer, and everything beneath that, would not drain, because it would not flow over the "hump" into the aquifer.

If you want to do it by gravity, you could try digging a shaft to a level lower than the ocean, running a tunnel to the edge, and then smoothing and carving fortifications into the edge-of-map tiles.  This should give you an infinite sink, but I'm not sure it'll drain faster than the ocean'll fill.  You could try something like this:

XXXXXocean
XXXXX XXXX
XXXXX XXXX
F XXX XXXX
X     XXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

(The point of the u-bend is to take advantage of the pressure physics -- it should give you the maximum amount of drainage.)

(Do be warned that sometimes carving fortifications on the map edge results in an infinite *supply* of water.)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »

I don't see how a U-bend would have any effect in this situation, unless you're making assumptions based on outdated water pressure behavior from old versions.

Also, edge fortifications don't work with pressurized water - the water has to actually flow off the edge of the map, meaning you'll only ever lose 3/7 or 4/7 per tile per X number of ticks, compared to the thousands of 7/7 tiles that can be absorbed into an aquifer in a single tick.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »

(Do be warned that sometimes carving fortifications on the map edge results in an infinite *supply* of water.)
I discovered that for myself by accident yesterday while attempting to create a drain. It was quite a surprise. I'd bet it happens in (and only in) ocean and lake sites.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:41:54 pm by Kanddak »
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 04:00:31 pm »

I don't see how a U-bend would have any effect in this situation, unless you're making assumptions based on outdated water pressure behavior from old versions.

It would prevent backflow from slowing things down.

Eg, you have a tunnel of water that's draining off like this:

F7777

If it becomes this:
F3777
It's still all good, because the pressure should immediately teleport over 4/7 of water.

But if it becomes this:
F5577
I do believe that the next step will show the pressure only teleporting 2/7 of water, so you get less water moved than your would normally.  The ubend removes this possibility by restricting where the water can flow.

Also, edge fortifications don't work with pressurized water - the water has to actually flow off the edge of the map, meaning you'll only ever lose 3/7 or 4/7 per tile per X number of ticks, compared to the thousands of 7/7 tiles that can be absorbed into an aquifer in a single tick.

I thought this might be the case -- hence, "might not drain faster than the ocean'll fill". 

Could probably still be done if you had enough edge tiles opened.  But I like pumps, so...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:52 pm »

The aquifer will drain the entire ocean. At the same time.  Reality Shmality.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 01:11:45 am »

With a gravity feed, any levels of the ocean that are at the aquifer level + 1, or lower, will not drain. 

[...]

If you removed the pumps, [...]

Only the top layer of the ocean would drain.  The layer immediately above the aquifer, and everything beneath that, would not drain, because it would not flow over the "hump" into the aquifer.

Makes sense.  But:  if I use pumps, won't it be limited to speed of the pumps?  How many pumps will I need?

Does the number of inlet ramps I open up into the ocean floor affect how fast it drains?  Will the whole ocean drain out just as fast through 1 open tile?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

DaMunky89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys, the fastest and easiest way to get rid of the ocean is this:

1) Make a open topped container that is magma/fireproof. Bauxite works well.
2) Put a burning item in this container.
3) Drop in ocean.

Items in containers don't degrade, so the item will burn perpetually. The box won't burn because it's bauxite. The item inside the box will evaporate any water that touches it, eventually removing the entire ocean.

Source: LordNevick / GlyphGryph is good at DF and shares these things with me.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

You can't make bins out of bauxite.

And bins don't prevent objects inside from degrading.  They just prevent them from being put out by water.  It will eventually burn out.

And you can't put a burning object in a bin.  You have to put a flammable object in a fireproof bin, then dip the whole thing in magma to set it on fire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Artifacts never degrade from burning. Get an artifact put in the bin, then set it on fire, then dump it in the ocean.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

DaMunky89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You have to put a flammable object in a fireproof bin, then dip the whole thing in magma to set it on fire.
Aha, right you are. I knew I must have misquoted somewhere.

spikesp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so if its possable to drain a ocean its possable to make a lava ocean ?

DaMunky89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so if its possable to drain a ocean its possable to make a lava ocean ?
Heck if I know, but that sounds like an awesome megaproject!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Carefully dumping magma into the ocean could ring the map with an obsidian wall.  Then you'd just drain the ocean in the middle, and it wouldn't recover -- in fact, the first frame would take forever, but subsequent frames would be pretty quick.
Pages: 1 [2]