Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d][modded] Legendary Miners not producing stone [solved]  (Read 917 times)

Lester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d][modded] Legendary Miners not producing stone [solved]
« on: December 19, 2009, 03:31:21 pm »

Well, so my legendary miners stopped proucing a stone for every tile they dig out, rather they now produce stone only about 50% of the time. Does anyone know whats causing this?

I have two legendary miners and they both show this behaviour. I'm playing with the Dig Deeper mod and a few minor tweaks I did myself, nothing affecting stone though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:12:14 pm by Lester »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d][modded] Legendary Miners not producing stone
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:01:59 pm »

Let us know what you did, that sounds like an improvement!

Lester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d][modded] Legendary Miners not producing stone
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »

Yeah, thats what I thought. ;D

Until I realised that I also can't reliably dig out ore anymore...and I do love my ad.. iron

EDIT:

Huh..I just remembered, I temporally removed the Eyes of my dwarfes to stop some annoying cancel messages while flooring over a chasm...modding them back in solved the issue.
Fancy that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:11:55 pm by Lester »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: [40d][modded] Legendary Miners not producing stone [solved]
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:13:37 am »

So did they just not produce with eyes removed or did all the mined out ore appear?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »

As long as the eyes are removed they are producing stone at about the same rate as a standard skilled Miner. (Roughly 30%-50%, seems closer to 30%). This is true for all stone, including ore and gems.
Putting the eyes back lets them produce stone at their actual skill level again. (Tested with lvl. 20 and lvl. 9). Stone, gems and ore in already mined out areas does not reapear, e.g. is lost/has been gotten rid of. The Miners skill level apparently continues to increase at a normal pace, even with removed eyes.
I also had the feeling that they were digging slightly slower than usual, not sure about that though.

Still, this seems like an easy way to prevent having 20.000+ stone clogging up your fortress. One just has to dig around veines and clusters until the eyes are modded back.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:13:57 pm by Lester »

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:09:18 pm »

Well this is fascinating new information.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 03:08:46 pm »

Well this is fascinating new information.

My guess is that being blinded (for creatures that can be meaningfully blinded) takes a big chunk out of all your skill rolls. 

Lester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »

My guess is that being blinded (for creatures that can be meaningfully blinded) takes a big chunk out of all your skill rolls. 

Sounds very probable. A viable way to test this could be to remove eyes and see if sparring accidents go up dramatically...although failed dodges/parrys/"soft" hits could be cancelled out by the dwarfs simply missing. I will test this tomorrow.

Does working in a workshop call for a skill roll?
Because then one could alternatively have a legendary Dwarf massproduce items and check if the masterwork quota (25% on lvl. 15 I believe?) is met.
hmmm...this of course would mean that your fortress wealth production is basically crippled while the dwarfs are blinded.

EDIT1:

Quote from: From the Wiki (concerning lopped off eyes)
Heavy Bleeding. Possible extreme pain depending on Toughness and number of eyes removed. Destroys accuracy and lessens vision permanently. If all eyes are removed, the creature is completely blind, and can only "see" what's next to it (other words, 3x3 vision).

This seems to imply blindness only affects accuracy, no mention of skill checks. Is mining an attack directed at the wall? The wiki could be wrong though...can anyone confirm?

EDIT2:

Did the massproduct test. I let a legendary Mason produce/r doors for 30 (realtime) minutes without eyes, then savescummed and did it again with eyes added back in.

Here's how he did:

Code: [Select]
   | Masterwork | Exceptional | Superior | Fine | Well || Total
V1 |          0 |           0 |        5 |     7 |    2 ||    14
V2 |          4 |          17 |        5 |     0 |    0 ||    26

In percantage:

Code: [Select]
      | Masterwork | Exceptional | Superior | Fine | Well || Total
Blind |          0 |           0 |      35% |   50% |  15% ||  100%
Eyes  |        15% |         65% |      20% |     0 |    0 ||  100%

So it seems blind dwarfs have reduced skill rolls. The wiki tells us that blindness means reduced accuracy and I don't see a reason why combat checks should be different from other skill checks so I think I can skip the sparring check.
In conclusion: Removing the eyes does keep your miners from producing stone, but your forts wealth production is greatly reduced.
I can still see me using this method for larger digging projects.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:42:59 pm by Lester »

Lester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:04:26 pm »

Bumb for update

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 06:28:25 pm »

this sounds nice actually -- storing all those masterwork crafts can get annoying fast :D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 06:52:43 pm »

Wow, Lester, you really went the extra mile to verify that.  Awesome.  Presumably the EXTRAVISION tag keeps the skill rolls from getting reduced.

Lester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:48:32 pm »

Gee, thanks :)

I'll see if I can get around to testing [EXTRAVISON] as well.