Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A good start..  (Read 1982 times)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: A good start..
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:39 pm »

Here's what I use

[SKILL:1-4:MINING:3]
   [SKILL:1-4:CARPENTRY:2]
   [SKILL:1-4:MASONRY:2]
   [SKILL:1-4:MECHANICS:2]
   [SKILL:1-4:DESIGNBUILDING:1]
   [SKILL:5:WOODCUTTING:1]
   [SKILL:5:DETAILSTONE:5]
   [SKILL:5:NEGOTIATION:1]
   [SKILL:5:APPRAISAL:1]
   [SKILL:5:CONVERSATION:1]
   [SKILL:5:FLATTERY:1]
   [SKILL:6:COOK:5]
   [SKILL:6:PLANT:5]
   [SKILL:7:FORGE_WEAPON:5]
   [SKILL:7:FORGE_ARMOR:5]

4 picks, 50 logs, no axe or anvil, 300 food and drink each. 5 cats and a cage to put the kits in. I cook all the food into lavish meals (except some turtles) and trade for an anvil, axe and tons of other things, cause the meals are worth so insanely much. I assign a random immigrant to do the brewing since the skill only effects speed.
Actually, I don't do farming at all until nearly 100 dwarfs, until then I can support them with imports alone.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Kugu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 02:37:33 pm »

Typically I just start with with two miners and a woodcutter (if there is wood) just to get started. Otherwise pretty much everything can be assigned in game and quickly learned, and gives me more points for turtles. =D
Quote: "Okay, got it, how do i brew beds."

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 06:26:18 pm »

... I assign a random immigrant to do the brewing since the skill only effects speed.

Not true, AFAIK... Alcohol has a 'hidden' quality modifier. Surely you've noticed the Happiness modifiers from "Urist McAlcoholic enjoyed a fine/wonderful/truly decadent drink lately".
Never pet a burning dog.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:05 pm »

Weaponsmith/Mechanic
Armorsmith/Leatherworker
Carpenter/Mason/Metalsmith
Bonecrafter/Woodcrafter/Metalcrafter
Farmer/Cook
Clothier/Dyer/Weaver/Brewer
Gem Cutter/Gem Setter

I embark with six picks. The farmer/cook starts sorting stuff into piles while the other six start digging the fort. As soon as a 9x9 space is cleared out, I set down two to three farm plots and the farmer plants crops then cuts wood until the crops grow up.

Alternatively, I embark with a bunch of iron spikes, pitchblende, and a bunch of architect/mason/mechanics. I set up a spike death pit and a cave in death trap to kill all of my starting seven. For when I have to embark in an area that the site finder revealed that doesn't meet my requirements so I can mark it as unacceptable.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 07:34:05 pm »

I tend to follow the 'paranoia build' mentioned on the wiki.  It consists of:

Two miners.
A carpenter/woodcutter.
A mason/mechanic.
A farmer/cook/brewer.
A hunter or fisherdwarf (depending on what biome I set out for).
And a social dwarf/architect.  He ends up getting piled with any other oddjobs I might need done until the first wave of immigrants.

Gear-wise, plump helmets and turtles are your friends.  Soon enough, you'll be up to your neck in useless dwarfs who can do any metalsmithing or other jobs you want done.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 09:07:43 pm »

Generally this is the setup that I use:

Proficient Miner/Proficient Engraver x3 (Three miners = Uber fast cave building; I also do a lot of smoothing and engraving)
Proficient Carpenter/Proficient Mechanic x1 (This guy builds the beds for the starting dwarves and immigrants, and sets up stone-fall traps in his spare time)
Proficient Mason/Proficient Stonecrafter x1 (He's here to make my furniture and my initial trade goods)
Proficient Farmer/Proficient Brewer x1 (My never ending food and drink supply)
Proficient Woodcutter/Competent Axedwarf/Appraiser x1 (Wood source, fortress defense in emergencies, and someone to let me see my fort values)

As far as items go, I bring plenty of plump helmet and dimple cup spawn, and a good amount of pig tail seeds.  For food, I bring at least 150 turtles, and at least 50 of each drink.  I also bring at least 1 of each 2-point food for starting barrels, as well as an axe and three picks.

As far as animals go, I usually come with 2 cats and 6-10 dogs.
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.
Pages: 1 2 [3]