Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Toady: Pre Release the Data Scripts?  (Read 2476 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady: Pre Release the Data Scripts?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 11:39:41 pm »

They are Removed (from the internal code) Automatic (-ally compiled) Widget (synonym for object - the more you know!) files :P

Reminds me of:
How RAW do you want your gaming rules?
(RAW = Rules As Written).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 02:28:10 am »

The raws are not programs.

Mm, I don't know about that.  "Program" is not a very restrictive category.  Additionally the upcoming raws exhibit some features that you don't see much (ever?) in pure markup langauges, such as variable assignment/retrieval (for reaction reagents) and what amount to subroutines with argument passing (body detail plans).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 03:10:08 am »

They're not programs or scripts in any manner of speaking. All they do is store data to be interpreted by the program. They aren't meant to hold program instructions of any sort. Some of it's abstracted, sure, but it all still comes down to storage of data and nothing else.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 03:21:20 am »

They're not programs or scripts in any manner of speaking. All they do is store data to be interpreted by the program. They aren't meant to hold program instructions of any sort. Some of it's abstracted, sure, but it all still comes down to storage of data and nothing else.

"Storage of data" is a really ambiguous phrase though.  Any data can be a program as long as the machine into which you feed it knows how to decode/run it.  And seriously, look at the VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS body detail plan and its invocation in the creature def and tell me that doesn't look like a subroutine in a procedural language.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:26:27 am by Footkerchief »

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 04:58:59 am »

They are Removed (from the internal code) Automatic (-ally compiled) Widget (synonym for object - the more you know!) files

And here I thought they were just "raw data", i.e. unprocessed...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 05:01:54 am »

"Storage of data" is a really ambiguous phrase though.  Any data can be a program as long as the machine into which you feed it knows how to decode/run it.  And seriously, look at the VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS body detail plan and its invocation in the creature def and tell me that doesn't look like a subroutine in a procedural language.

It doesn't. It looks like a highly-abstracted way of representing data.

The fact of the matter is that all these files do is contain information meant to assign qualities to objects. It doesn't have or do anything beyond that. The program interprets it for the purpose of knowing which objects to create and which qualities out of a predefined set to attribute to them; it doesn't contain arbitrary instructions the way a script would.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 05:28:44 am »

The fact of the matter is that all these files do is contain information meant to assign qualities to objects.

Well, yes.  I don't see how that makes them intrinsically different from "real programs" though.  I mean, even when you're writing object-oriented code directly, the keywords etc. are still just instructions for the compiler, which then generates its own output, and so on.  In your words, the compiler "interprets [the source code] for the purpose of knowing which objects to create and which qualities out of a predefined set [e.g. a type system] to attribute to them."  It may sound like I'm twisting your words, but they're very broad words.

it doesn't contain arbitrary instructions the way a script would.

I don't know what degree of arbitrariness is required here.  It's not Turing-complete, no, but my instinct is that you could achieve conditional logic with a little cleverness.

Here's a question: would SQL still be a scripting language if the only available command were INSERT?
Pages: 1 [2]