Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone warhammers  (Read 931 times)

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone warhammers
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:15 pm »

hello!
is there a possibility to mod hammers and maces so that you could make them out of stone blocks. i dont want it to be Obsidian but some other like Diorite warhammer. I dont see why warhammers and maces should be restricted to be only iron or steel or adamantine because they are blunt and need only something heavy that can break Elve's bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone warhammers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:13:13 am »

Easy mode: download this zip. Take either the wood-haft version (which needs a log as well as a smooth block) or the non-wood version. Put file in ~\raw\objects. Generate new world. Build a smelter (you don't need fuel). Select "make stone hammer" (or mace). Done.

Ignore the below if you are not interested in exactly how this is done and don't feel like reading reams of text.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:23:19 am by 3 »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:23:56 am »

Or, add [CAN_STONE] to the warhammer entry in the raws.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:33:31 am »

Or, add [CAN_STONE] to the warhammer entry in the raws.

And then [SHARP] to Diorite/Granite/Whatever in matgloss_later raws.

But I'm not sure it will work, I think that 'make rock swords' is hardcoded thing in Craftsdwarf' shop... but try anyway.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 03:37:09 am »

It works, and the weapons are built in the craftsdwarfs shop, just like the swords.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:59:36 am »

Yeah. The problem is though, as I said, you'd start getting granite shortswords. Which might not be desirable.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:02:48 am »

Only if you can't be bothered to make a custom stockpile and/or forbid the stones you don't want him to use.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 04:07:28 am »

True, but that feels artificial. There isn't any reason to refute a method that very deliberately offers greater realism while looking for said realism, and choose over it something more cumbersome which was designed with a more general purpose in mind.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:11:10 am »

I didn't know that stone hammers were made in unlit furnaces.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:14:59 am »

Eh, I could make a point about that being a placeholder, but it's obvious that the current [CAN_STONE]/[SHARP] tag is also that, so...

One final attempt to rescue my argument: The handling of the reactions system is updated next version. [CAN_STONE]/[SHARP] is not. Using reactions has greater potential for greater realism in a shorter span of the development.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 07:51:57 am »

Am I correct in assuming that [Sharp] stone warhammers will be as strong as steel, but reaction-made stone warhammers without any other modding will do 50% the damage of iron?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:41:26 am »

Isn't the damage modifier specified in the material's raw entry, in either case?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 11:40:39 pm »

[MATGLOSS_STONE:OBSIDIAN]
[NAME:obsidian][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:177][LAVA][SHARP]
[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE]
[VALUE:3]

Nope, nothing about damage in the material definition.  I think all of the stone weapons are equivalent to steel, and that is hardcoded into the craftdwarfs workshop....or somewhere.  Using a reaction should make them do damage as regular stone, i.e. 50% of iron weapons.  But logic and DF have a very tenuous relationship, so things that make sense are often wrong.  Test it and find out!  It could be FUN ;D

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.