Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Quest: Above-water Mega-Fortress  (Read 9281 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Quest: Above-water Mega-Fortress
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2010, 10:43:43 pm »

Actually, I try to keep my dwarves alive as much as possible. It's only been due to things like the Dragon that has led to unavoidable deaths. During my narcoleptic episodes, no less. -_-

I've survived about 9 sieges in this fortress with only (As of now) about 2 or 3 deaths. Over 400 gobs have met their end here at my doorstep. We've also encountered two Megabeasts since our establishment; the aforementioned Dragon and the even greater feared Skeletal Dragon.

My population is now at 110. I lost 10 dwarves due to stupid shit in the fortress, mainly due to my negligence and falling asleep in the middle of the Armok-damn day.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:50 am »

225 MB each. O___O

I don't think that would be good for the bandwidth of DFMA
Is why you're s'posed to use the compressor first, silly.
Oh, another little item regarding the mapcompressor as well, if you have excessively long names for your forts (which ends up compressing only 1 layer of the map), search for a program called Rename-It!, it helps big time in trimming the filenames so that it can compress properly (of course, do this after converting them to PNG). I've run into this issue a few times with my project, so just a heads up if you have tons of long fort names, and tons of map screenshots you need to rename, and don't have the time to thumb through them all individually.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:54:53 am by Itnetlolor »

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:43 pm »

Turn off temperature in the init when the freezing period comes. That'll make everything MUCH easier.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2010, 12:37:29 am »

That sort of defeats the point, doesn't it?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2010, 07:45:21 pm »

Say that your philosopher discovered how to keep the seasons still, and enemies at bay.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:00 pm »

Then he wouldn't be a philosopher, he'd be a mage. An archmage perhaps.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:42 pm »

Then he wouldn't be a philosopher, he'd be a mage. An archmage perhaps.
Dwarven mages... Could be FUN!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 01:58:16 am »

In medieval times, it was all that same thing. A mage/magician/wizard/wize man/philosopher was someone who knew things like when to plant and harvest, what was good to cure sicknesses and other ails, math and measurements to keep things organized, and how to make dreadlocks without rank 10 stinking hair or irreversible hair destruction (I'm getting dreads right now). They were the smart guys that dumb guys (dwarfs) couldn't explain, and everything they did seemed like a miracle.
Is that a good enough story?

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »

Pretty epic fortress so far, hopefully it will be beyond words in epicness once it's finished :)
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]