Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d : champion "Murdered" By the water  (Read 1138 times)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
40d : champion "Murdered" By the water
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:01 am »

recently ,  my champion charged at a pike in the water , he got underwater , and he did not drown , infact , he was killed , with a dark grey-coloured head , when i looK'd around , there are no carps , there are nothing around him , except water , is this some kind of bug or a feature where creatures get wounds when drowning?(he bled to death afterwards)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: 40d : champion "Murdered" By the water
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:45:00 am »

So the final cause of death was bleeding?  What happened to the pike he attacked?  Are you sure it didn't inflict another wound on him that you didn't notice?  Sometimes you have to scroll down on the wound screen to see all the wounds.

Also, he didn't die of the "dark grey-coloured head."  Dark gray means ampututation, and decapitation is instant death, meaning you'll never see it on a creature's wound screen.  It must have been a light gray wound, meaning a bruise.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:36:12 am »

the pike got killed before he got wounds , the head got light-grey , just noticed , and there are three red wound on the end of his wound list.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:55:28 am »

Yeah, wounds that are red are "mangled," i.e. worse than broken.  That's probably what caused the bleeding.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:21:14 am »

So, I'm guessing that you have reloaded now, since you're looking at the wounds again.  Did he bleed out again?
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:37:09 am »

when i looK'd around , there are no carps , there are nothing around him , except water
In my experience, fish move fast. Even the non-vermin ones seem to be able to vanish and reappear in some other part of the river the second I look away.
In other words, the fish probably mangled his limbs, then swam off while he bled to death.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 11:55:52 pm »

nope, there is a DEAD pike icon infront of my "getting wounds by water" Champion , and there is nothing other then the pike in that water , plus , when my other dwarfs drop into the water(by Dodging a wolf) , they get no wounds , i only get the message "(name) has drowned"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:36:03 am »

It's likely the pike inflicted a lethal injury on your champion (such as ripping out his throat) and that he killed the pike before bleeding to death.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 11:30:51 pm »

the pike was killed LONG before he got wounds , it all happened in a murky pool.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:06 pm »

Honestly, without a save that can reproduce this chain of events, there's not much that can be done to investigate this.

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:07:44 am »

Honestly, without a save that can reproduce this chain of events, there's not much that can be done to investigate this.

Make your dwarves to engrave the walls until someone admits to seeing something.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:19 am »

Alternatively, make a copy of your fortress, abandon it, then check Legends mode to see if it says anything about the champion's cause of death - mortal injuries should be recorded.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.