Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Death-Halls of Screaming, a community fortress (pick a dwarf!)  (Read 1701 times)

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Death-Halls of Screaming, a community fortress (pick a dwarf!)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 04:43:11 pm »

I would also like a dwarf immigrant
name:Dervin
profession:Wrestler
death:To die in a torture chamber.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 05:20:05 pm »

From the chisel of Stas Ishlumlolor on this day of Granite 4, Anno Armokis 275.

Being the only dwarf in this company with any organizational skills, and also our sole military dwarf, it falls to me to record this logbook for our Queen, "Arrkhal" Nomalrab, mayeth her beard grow e'er longer!

Though I sometimes wish there were a proficient miner in our ranks, work progresseth only slightly behind schedule.  One of the picks we packed hath mysteriously gone missing, allowing only 5 of us to strike the earth.  Custerthwaite seemeth to be a particularly slow digger, being unwilling to soil himself with an honest day's labor.  I shall need to reprimand him later.  His preoccupation with cleanliness does not become a dwarf.

The kobolds seem unusually friendly in this area.  I also note that there is absolutely no ill-gotten treasure to be found anywhere, which is very odd.  Normally, kobolds will simply strew their possessions across the ground.  Perhaps these ones live differently, by honest labor rather than theft.

Even so, we have chained up the two war dogs I brought, in our entrance corridor.  Between those two dogs and my crossbow, we should be safe from any real, rather than imagined threat, at least until the goblins find us.  I only pray the legends of creatures imprisoned within adamantine deposits are as false as the ones of this "ghost."

For now, we dig.

From the chisel of Stas Ishlumlolor on this day of Hematite 12, Anno Armokis 275.

Over a season hath passed, and the digging is becoming interminable.  By Haspen's insistence, we have not yet placed any permanent workshops, as our space is not yet fully dug out, and optimum placement cannot yet be determined.  Or so he sayeth.  We have a temporary carpenter shop and barracks set near where we plan to put the trade depot, but no more.

There still hath been no trouble from the cave, though it is my most fervent hope that these kobolds are as friendly to us as they seem.  Earlier this morning, I witnessed one of their bowbolds slay a giant leopard, which was nearly the size of a fully grown draft horse, with but a single copper arrow!  It is most likely that the dwarves who met an unpleasant demise here had simply earned themselves the ire of these unusual kobolds.  100killer9 hath wisely decided to stop throwing rocks at them, which the kobolds have heretofore believed to be a game of some kind.  It is fortunate that he was never able to hit any.

With luck, we shall have a productive fortress established before the end of summer.

----------

I finally checked, and oops, this civ has a queen, not a king.  Let's pretend the nomenclature for everyone is consistent.  Or that they talked to the king consort earlier.

And the kobolds here really do have absolutely no stolen stuff anywhere.  Odd, considering that this site is accessible by everyone, and quite close to a mountainhome.  Even so, their giant silk clothing puts the imported wealth at 20,000☼.  They also all have insane stats, for random kobolds.  I don't think any of them have less than 5 stats on 'em, and no wounds either.  Maybe they fought some elves during worldgen and got insanely leveled.

These guys dig slooooowww.  Things should pick up once all the workshops are built.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 09:01:06 pm »

I'll take an immigrant.
Name: Gyron
Profession: Mason/Engraver/Stoneworker
Demise: Fused into Obsidian in freak Obsidian Factory accident

aurixdarastrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here, move along
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 10:34:12 pm »

Hmmm... I'll go with Ngubul Vathez, whatever profession you need or want, dies heroically sealing the tunnel about to let water or magma flood the fort.  Except, the liquid was REALLY going to flood some invaders/power forges/do something else necessary. 
Bonus points if you can get it so that the dwarf turns, sees the oncoming liquid, and builds a second wall.  Saving itself from drowning/burning.  Only to realize it just walled itself in with no supplies.  Super bonus points if the block gets cleared, and the corpse is washed onto some poor bystander. 
[INTERMITTENTLY_ACTIVE]
Pages: 1 [2]