Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gourds: Would this work?  (Read 926 times)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
Gourds: Would this work?
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:33:35 pm »

I was thinking of making a super-fruit that produces every possible plant product, since threads, grains, extracts and leaves don't seem to be mutually exclusive (you know, to go along with one's serene-surroundings easymode game).

Obviously any super-fruit has to be a melon, because melons are just the best fruit ever. So I was thinking it should leave a gourd-like rind that could be dried and crafted with.

I was wondering, would adding the [HASSHELL] tag to a plant cause it to leave a shell upon processing? I know it's a longshot, but that would be badass...

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gourds: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:49:27 am »

*envisions watermelon rhine armor with menacing spikes of watermelon seeds*

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:20:32 am »

theres only one way to find out.
post your findings here afterwards, I am a little bit intrigued, but I might suggest a better plant that a melon.

threads, extract, brew, leaves taken from the trees they grow on, hell you could get wood out of this as well if possible.. the only thing you might not get is grains, but you just take "baby coconuts" or something out I suppose as the trees are grown from full ones. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_grow_a_coconut_tree

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:51:15 am »

That occurred to me, but I like melons better. Melons are inherently a luxury fruit in certain parts of the world simply because of the sheer area required to farm them (especially japan, home of the cube watermelon).

I suppose it could be a cocomelon... Hairy and hard on the outside, juicy and melony on the inside.

I don't have the faintest idea how to get wood out of it though, aside from using the smelter, and I'm not going to do that... kind of destroys the believability. I'm also thinking that grain (or dye) might be mutually exclusive with other products, since it requires milling at a separate workshop (a quern or millstone).

I'll try using the tag, but it might be a bit; I'm going to try implementing several mods and I need to work out the raw data for all of them first.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:10:21 am »

I'm not going to pretend to have any clue as to how you could do this, but couldn't you have the plant have multiple... uhh... actions? Not sure of the term. Like how sweet pods can be milled into sugar or just processed into syrup.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:52:45 pm »

Technically, it's possible to give every tag to a single plant, I think.

However, you can't get all of the potential products from a single actual plant because the plant has to go to a kitchen, farmer's workshop, quern/millstone, or still to get various products. Since each of these places consumes the plant and only produces its particular product, you have to make a choice.

Farmer's workshop can actually produce more than one product I think, but you still have to choose whether to process it for thread, or leaves, or extract, etc... they're different tasks.

Oh well... I wasn't thinking of all that when i got the idea. Still, you can make a damn versatile plant. Maybe in the future we can make plants that actually DO give you all the possible products from each individual plant.

And I still need to see if I can get shells from them.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:27:02 pm »

I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but you could have the plant leave a stalk at the location that's cuttable by a woodcutter after the melon is ripe and harvested.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:28:09 pm »

I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but you could have the plant leave a stalk at the location that's cuttable by a woodcutter after the melon is ripe and harvested.

not possible. Best you could do is some kind of smelter reaction that produces wood.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 05:38:40 pm »

I have tried coconuts before, and from my experience, [HASSHELL] does nothing for plants.  It also did nothing for trees, and nothing for non-vermin, if I remember correctly.  So really this 'shell' only applied to vermin...

If I am wrong, correct me, but that is all I can say on the matter.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:59:08 pm »

Yeah. The thing is, only certain raw classifications can use certain tags, so the more exotic variations of this idea are unfortunately pretty groundless in the current version without making use of reactions.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:24:20 am »

The regular (no container) extract, and extracts to vial(at farmer's workshop or at a still) and barrel, are mutually exclusive; there's only one token for the extract.

I'm not sure how leaves and thread fit into that.

Milling is a separate function. You could probably make a mill product that could be cooked(COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED) or used as dye(MILL_DYE:), but it would be the same powder for both functions, so controlling it could get touchy.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 11:42:43 am »

You could just have a plant and a tree of the same name and with same bio-tokens.  Can find the wood and plants.  Should be able to get leaves, extract etc from plant and wood from tree.