Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help: Neverending Siege  (Read 684 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Help: Neverending Siege
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:13:26 pm »

Several squads of treants (Relentless Assault) laid siege to my fortress. I managed to drive them off, but the [SIEGE] icon remains on the top part of my screen.

It has been three seasons since. I have been attacked by a titan, but neither traders nor invaders have come (Humans and Dwarves should have come in the Summer and Autumn, respectively).

I have executed every treant that I had prisoner, but so far nothing has changed. Also, there are no blue flying treants on the map. Now I'm desperate for solutions.

I'm sure this bug isn't new, but I'm hoping the answer isn't revert, because I only have one save.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:59:53 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Help: Neverending Siege
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:15:40 pm »

Send a squad of melee dwarfs around to check for sneaking enemies?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:50:19 pm »

Check around and see if there are any treants that are stuck "flying" (light blue background). There's a bug which can cause units to get stuck like this, and if those units are invaders, then the siege will never end. If this is the case, you'll have to use a utility program to remove the "projectile" flag from the unit in question; no other fix has been found yet as the creatures do not seem to interact with the rest of the world at all.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »

Check around and see if there are any treants that are stuck "flying" (light blue background). There's a bug which can cause units to get stuck like this, and if those units are invaders, then the siege will never end. If this is the case, you'll have to use a utility program to remove the "projectile" flag from the unit in question; no other fix has been found yet as the creatures do not seem to interact with the rest of the world at all.

Should have mentioned, I already checked for these, being familiar with the bug myself. I am in the process of using Dwarf Companion to meticulously resurrect every treant and rekill them, and hoping this will work before I go all the way down the list.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 03:51:58 pm »

Another thing you might try is resurrecting them and letting them escape off the map.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 02:39:16 pm »

I managed to solve the problem. It wasn't caused by the flight glitch, but rather by an entirely different one.

The offending treant appeared to have been fleeing the fortress when a tree matured on top of him. This caused his location in the program to glitch.

I waited two years to take advantage of the lack of invasions before knocking him out of his stasis. He reappeared in the same square as the tree, and moved off to one side, where my champions dismembered him, ending the siege.