Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can tame animals breed with wild animals?  (Read 1021 times)

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can tame animals breed with wild animals?
« on: December 16, 2009, 05:50:45 pm »

I managed to get lucky, and the giant eagle on my map dived into a cage trap baited with a puppy on a chain. It's even a FEMALE giant eagle. If another wild giant eagle shows up and it's male, will I have to capture it to start breeding tame giant eagles, or will my eagle start breeding as soon as it shows up?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can tame animals breed with wild animals?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:03:23 pm »

As long as your female giant eagle is uncaged, it will breed with any male of its species, no matter how distant and no matter if their tamed status is different. The young will even be tame (or not) depending on whether their mother is tame (or not).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:44:03 pm »

Awesome. I left it chained up in a hallway somewhere, so it would stop trying to fly into the magma pit. If I found the giant eagle on my map, that means that ANOTHER giant eagle will come off the edge of the map eventually, right?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:54:09 pm »

Depends on if the eagle was a feature creature (i.e. associated with a map feature like a chasm or bottomless pit) or a wilderness creature. Wilderness creatures wander in from the edge, and if you get one eagle that way you'll probably get another. Feature creatures never respawn in the current version, though.

I don't know offhand if giant eagles can be feature creatures. However, if the eagle wasn't on the map when you arrived then it's not a feature creature.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 07:15:29 pm »

It was here at embark, but I think I have the right biome for it. The only features I have are an underground river and a magma pipe, neither of which are ever associated with eagles as far as I am aware.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:13:54 pm »

now you're just waiting for mounts...

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 10:32:30 pm »

Giant eagles are wanderers.  And yes, it's been answered but I did exactly the same thing when I caught a female giant eagle.  Locked her up 7 z-levels underground, and through the magic of spores, a wandering male giant eagle flew by overhead and she got pregnant.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

cortar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 04:07:22 am »

i have an additional question, if you put a breeding pair of animals in a cage will they have children? i looked over the wiki and i couldnt find any place where it says they can or can't.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:15:05 am »

they cant breed in cages but can birth in cages.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 05:16:39 am »

They can't.  Animals who get caged pregnant will still have their babies, but they cannot become pregnant while caged, no matter how many of the opposite gender are in there with them.

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:43:28 am »

Cages aren't so much cages are they are quantum stasis storage devices. They have infinite capacity, the things inside can't interact with each other or anything outside, and you can flood a room with a cage in it and the creatures inside won't drown. I think you can even flood a magma-safe cage room with magma and the creatures will be fine, though I haven't personally tested that.