Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using MacBookPro and Page Scrolling?  (Read 1531 times)

Ocedius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using MacBookPro and Page Scrolling?
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:21:43 pm »

Hey guys, JUST found out about Dwarf Fortress today and I can't believe it's been hidden from my life this long!  It truly seems very overwhelming so far but just knowing the amount of freedom and depth in this game is really attracted me to it!  I have a problem.  I'm using a macbook pro, and im trying to use "alt+downarrow" to page scroll down to chose helmet caps to plant.  I can't seem to do it?  Im starting to worry that my macbook pro wont be suited for dwarf fortress?  I'd hope not :(

Any suggestions?  I've tried using alt/option, control, fn, and command key + downarrow and still nothing. :(

Thanks,
Ocedius

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using MacBookPro and Page Scrolling?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:47:17 pm »

Go into your keybindings (Esc -> Key Bindings) and change the secondary designators to something else. I use [] and shift-[].

The old MBPs used fn+arrow for page up/down but they took it out for some mysterious reason.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:02:11 pm »

The interface for MacDF uses the same interface as a Windows PC keyboard. It's something that needs to be fixed in the update. I play DF on my Mac rather than my PC, so I know what you're talking about (DF runs about 5x faster on ALL macs than a XP Pro PC).

Time for some init modding. Go into the DF file. data/init/interface.txt . Replace THE WHOLE THING with this. That way, it'll stay permanent. It will also fix some other problems that you you may or may not have noticed, like the - & + keys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:07:12 pm by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Ocedius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:46:37 am »

BIG help guys, thanks so much.  I feel dumb that i hadn't notice the key binding option.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:44:50 am »

This should be brought to Toady's attention, shouldn't it? It could be considered a bug for the mac, right?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:37:16 am »

This should be brought to Toady's attention, shouldn't it? It could be considered a bug for the mac, right?

Yeah, I would consider it. Anyone new to the game with a laptop could well think the game is broken. Hell, I'm not sure PC keyboards are that much better off in that regard. The game is quite tuned to a 101.

Ocedius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:43:53 pm »

Yeah, I thought I was doomed for a good while.  Sad I didn't think to remap the key.  But still, misleading.

There's so much to this game it's almost blowing my mind... I'm enjoying it so far, regardless of if I have a clue of what im doing or not haha

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:58:41 pm »

Losing is Fun.  The interface, not always so.  Darkond2100, you should post that config on the wiki.  There's a couple sad starter pages but no complete configs.

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Laptop_keyboard
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Key_bindings
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:54:14 pm »

The wiki has spared me much Dwarven pain. I would be delighted to contribute. I'll create an account right now.

Edit: I posted it, but it's really big. How can I make it small, like a spoiler on the forums?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:35:19 pm by Darkond2100 »