Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RidgeFest: Battle Of The Bands  (Read 836 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RidgeFest: Battle Of The Bands
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:59:17 pm »

Thought I would peak in here and share the progress as my band records the demo tape, and enters the first annual 2010 RidgeFest: Battle of the Bands. 7 bands will be chosen to preform on February 27, 2012 from 12:00 till 4:00 each playing 3 songs (covers or originals) totaling 20 minutes. Each band must submit a 2 song demo by January 4th. The 7 bands with the best demos get to preform. Oh and about the name.. Branden and Nick agreed on "Desecrate the Grave" but I think its kinda well.. lame.. sounding.. We all agreed to become a Thrash Metal band after this event is over. Anyway before I go any further meet the band

Nick: Lead Guitarist & Vocals
Branden: Drums & Backing Vocals??
Eric (Me!  :D) Bass & Backing Vocals??

While we have never practiced together as a group, we are coming together this Friday or Saturday. We will be practicing or try to practice every other day or every day during winter break. Thou other groups have been practicing together and playing for a long time I am sure, Nick and Branden have tons of talent. They are both very dedicated to music in general, and think of nothing but it. Me on the other hand, well its a long story. To sum it all up, I have only been really seriously been playing bass for about 2 weeks. I have been practicing my heart out, but I am not sure if it is enough with the allotted time. I am really into music and have played various instruments, but I am just not sure if I can do this. Sure I should be positive and be like "Oh I can do this!" but I have doubts about myself. Put in about 3 hours or so of practice since sunday, but that's not even close to enough. I really need to try and step it up a notch you know? But I have big problems staying dedicated to anything. Anyway the songs we are playing for the demo tape are...

1.Master of Puppets by Metallica
-Now I am really worried about this one.. the bass part was built for a beast. I have only started practicing it for today for like what? 1 hour!?  :-[. This is the one I really need to pour some work and effort into, as we are going to record it this weekend after a day or two of playing it together.

2. Dead Skin Mask by Slayer
-I am a huge slayer fan, so I had no issues with wanting to play this one. The song is mostly very easy and steady but on the bridge it erupts into a violent onslaught of jumping around the place on the frets. I have not practiced this one yet, as we are recording it later.. but I too am worried.

Now here are the songs we are playing for the show assuming we make it past the preliminary's with the demo tape

1. Tie Your Mother Down by Queen
2. Seek and Destroy by Metallica
3. Fear of... by us, which is written by Nick our guitarist. As we have not practiced together yet, I know nothing about it.

These songs I am not worried about, as we have the entire months of January, and February (well almost all of February) to practice and prepare for. I am also worried that many people will be biased towards our metal, but since Metallica is so mainstream now we should be ok. Let it be known, that I do not like the new Metallica. Only the first and second album I can really put up with, and nothing more. I love Queen with passion!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:01:13 am by atomicwinter »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: RidgeFest: Battle Of The Bands
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:38:47 am »

Good luck.
I think Desecrate the Grave actually sounds cool.
It feels more like a death or black metal band name to me though.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:51:53 am »

Call yourselves Emblem.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:04:37 am »

For a metal band name, go for Fatal Velocity. As far as I know, no band has that name, and it's  fucking awesome.  8)

That just might be the physics nerd in me, though, but I still say it sounds cool... >_>
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.