Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creative tricks in DF modding  (Read 921 times)

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creative tricks in DF modding
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:25:45 pm »

I've been modding DF for personal use for since about the time the Z-level update was released and I've always looked for new ways to make use of the raws to improve on DF. Both in practical terms, like adding all stones into a reaction to make them selectable in the Z menu stones list, which by the way I did already a little while after the Z level revolution before I encountered a mod with a similar effect, but I've also looked for creative ways to add new content, the example to give in this regard is my "aquari" mineral, which is a mineral found in all layers that at a certain depth starts to behave like a localized aquifer, giving the player both an unlimited source of water, but also a way to dispose of said water since aquifers "suck" surplus water in, a great way to add those waterfalls you've been dreaming about to your fortress.
Another thing I've done is increase the growth duration([GROWDUR:X]) tag's value on plants to create a more realistic agriculture. Toady One has said that a season is about 300-400 what-ever-growthdur-is-calculated-in, so a year would be 1200-1500. Note that, though plants can grow several seasons, they must be harvested within the season they matured or they'll be destroyed IIRC. I've given my plants a growthdur of 900 and made the planting season spring for most plants. Together with a cluster value of 1, its no longer that easy to get a z-level full of food and alcohol.

So, what have you created in the raws that's worth mentioning for its creativity?

Raws entries for the aquari mineral:
mineral matgloss:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
metal matgloss:
Reaction entry(don't add this and the aquari silver metal entry if you don't want the extra alloy):

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creative tricks in DF modding
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 04:49:52 pm »

is the aquifier metal the bars, or is it the ore found in the layers?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:42:34 pm »

Metal bars sadly can't act as aquifers, so the aquifers only occur within the undug ore. Constructions or anything the like won't create aquifers. If you don't the want the additional clutter, you can just delete the ore tag in the mineral raws.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »

I once tried to do something similar to what you did with aquifers, but with sand instead.  Didn't work; I just got a tile of stone that could be smoothed and engraved, didn't drop stone when dug out, and couldn't be designated as sand collection.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:05:08 am »

Yeah, minerals sadly can't have soil tags in the current version. IIRC Toady One has said that the upcoming version will have some of the matgloss raws merged, think soil and layers were merged and metals and minerals were merged as well. This might add new possibilities, like a igneous intrusive layer with a working sand tag. Maybe he'll even modify the minerals to accept some of the other tags as well.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:17:47 pm »

I wouldnt mind a reaction to grind stone to bags of sand.. Granted I would need a bag inside or else you'd have a bag generator.  :D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:33:35 am »

I wouldnt mind a reaction to grind stone to bags of sand.. Granted I would need a bag inside or else you'd have a bag generator.  :D
Sadly it can't be done.  You could probably grind stone to make a gem with the [GLASS] tag, which will allow it to be used to make crystal glass...  unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to change the value of glass.