Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New, Creative Civs  (Read 1972 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New, Creative Civs
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 03:23:52 am »

fireimps would be quite interesting to play as for a civ.
especially if you made a wooden fortress  ::)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 10:44:22 am »

One major problem is a bug with sieging fliers.  Sometimes when they arrive, they get stuck in place in the air.

I thought that was just flying mounts? Do you know how often it happens, or if there are any workarounds?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 11:06:42 am »

One major problem is a bug with sieging fliers.  Sometimes when they arrive, they get stuck in place in the air.

I thought that was just flying mounts? Do you know how often it happens, or if there are any workarounds?

I can attest to this happening with both sieges and ambushes, with my own flying enemy civs. It happens at a rate of 1-2 per invasion, I estimate. Guards who lead squads and probably participated in world gen are the most likely targets, but it also happens to common soldiers whenever they spawn in midair.

Workarounds? Get rid of the flier tag for normal play, wait for a siege, or ambush, to spawn, and then add it back in.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 11:15:53 am »

Eh. If it's just one or two per wave, I can explain it away as dragon senility.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 01:30:26 am »

On the same note, I have yet to find out how to make a civ that uses furniture in a city. Certain tags, when mixed wrong, will also lead to civ collapse.
I actually struggled and struggled with this, as the same problem was causing them to not make cages, bins, or barrels for trading.  In my case, it stemmed from their worldgen cities lacking access to forests, which in turn could only be harvested if they used above ground farming.  I fixed it by giving them underground farming (they don't need arable land to grow towercaps).

That is unfortunate. My civ is of [BONECARN] creatures and I didn't want farming available. Their primitivity and carniverous nature makes fortress mode difficult, notably since anvils must be imported.

I have also been working, without much avail, to allow my drakelings to butcher and consume sapient creatures (yes, this includes fallen comrades).
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 02:53:17 am »

On the same note, I have yet to find out how to make a civ that uses furniture in a city. Certain tags, when mixed wrong, will also lead to civ collapse.
I actually struggled and struggled with this, as the same problem was causing them to not make cages, bins, or barrels for trading.  In my case, it stemmed from their worldgen cities lacking access to forests, which in turn could only be harvested if they used above ground farming.  I fixed it by giving them underground farming (they don't need arable land to grow towercaps).

That is unfortunate. My civ is of [BONECARN] creatures and I didn't want farming available. Their primitivity and carniverous nature makes fortress mode difficult, notably since anvils must be imported.

I have also been working, without much avail, to allow my drakelings to butcher and consume sapient creatures (yes, this includes fallen comrades).
Well, you could always disable underground farming by simply removing underground plants.  Or farmers, for that matter.

carriontrooper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 04:06:19 am »

Hmmm... I started a thread over at /tg/ about new races, and all I got was an automaton race (someone already have it, Steam Engine mod or something), and a crab people race.

Crab people. Hmmmmmmmmmm tasty.
I am wretched, but I am STRONG!
I am the future... I AM ZERG!
LIVE FOR THE SWARRRRMMMMMMMM

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 04:30:27 am »

Mod a civ that can only live for 9 to 10 years (or perhaps, after worldgen, you can mod them to live 4 years and have immense litters). This way, you will constantly be replacing your population, have to encourage marriage, and will actually be able to trace generations.

Requires someone capable of playing for long periods of time though. I generally play fortresses of this type on automatic.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 04:44:42 am »

Mod a civ that can only live for 9 to 10 years (or perhaps, after worldgen, you can mod them to live 4 years and have immense litters). This way, you will constantly be replacing your population, have to encourage marriage, and will actually be able to trace generations.

Requires someone capable of playing for long periods of time though. I generally play fortresses of this type on automatic.
That sounds... really fun.  Too bad there's no [FAST_LEARNER] tag, though, it would kinda suck to (almost) never have high level crafters.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 06:56:45 am »

I did that with dwarves.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41716.0
Images in that post :)
EDIT: Oh, I just saw you actually replied in that thread :p
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:00:59 am by Danarca »
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 07:22:25 am »

X-COM, ufo-defence and TFTD.

Lobstermen, red shirts, the whole lot.

You will win 5 internetss if you complete this task.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 08:38:22 am »

^Oh yes, also consider modding in Trap Immune Giant Cave Spiders as a civ. It is immense fun when they siege you.

I wonder what it would be like to play as them?

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 08:44:40 am »

Quote from: darkflagrance
I wonder what it would be like to play as them?
[/quote

Cheat mod enabled
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 08:47:18 am »

It's harder than it sounds.

Last time I hit a wall where, after a pretty bad Elf raid, I didn't have any breeding pairs. Everyone was either widowed or related.
Pages: 1 [2]