Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Freeze on saving [ RESOLVED! ]  (Read 1943 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
[40d16] Freeze on saving [ RESOLVED! ]
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:15:16 pm »

So I downloaded DF, and it worked fine (well, as fine as an alpha can work, I suppose). Then, at one point, it started to freeze when it saved my game. I've auto-saving set to Seasonal, so this in effect means that I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del kill dwarfort.exe nearly every time the season changes. Fortunately, I can just go right back into the game after killing it, so the lock-up obviously happens after the game is done saving. A side-effect seems to be that the game only saves to the top-most 'current' save - I'm in 206 now and the other saves of Logemked are from 201.

Manually saving on exit seems to work just fine.

I sadly do not remember what brought this on. I may have started the After-Action Reporter tutorial, but that doesn't sound like it should cause lock-ups.

Mods and third-party applications:
 - Dwarf Manager .7
 - VisualFortress
 - 3Dwarf

System specs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:30:27 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Freeze on saving [40d]
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:16 pm »

A side-effect seems to be that the game only saves to the top-most 'current' save

"Current" is where DF keeps save files it's currently using, while a game is in progress.  It shouldn't be saving the game there per se.  What folder are you loading from?  Have you tried deleting the obsolete backups, or at least moving them out of the save folder?

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:18:57 pm »

OK, so with "current" I just meant the save that appears topmost when you hit "Continue Playing". Sorry for being vague there.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:31:20 pm »

Have you tried deleting the obsolete backups, or at least moving them out of the save folder?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:19:07 am »

The seasonal save does take a little longer than a normal "exit" save if you have autobackup on, because it makes a full copy of your save folder. DF will be frozen while it does this. If you wait, does it unfreeze? If not, is it an issue with not having enough space or permissions to copy the save to backup?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 11:33:54 am »

OK, so I'll try just waiting, then if that doesn't work, I'll try Footkerchief's suggestion.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:30:04 pm »

Have you tried deleting the obsolete backups, or at least moving them out of the save folder?
Fixed the problem. Thanks.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Freeze on saving [ RESOLVED! ]
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:14:18 pm »

Dunno why that would have caused a crash, unless the drive was filled up or something, which you'd probably have noticed.  Glad it's working now though.