Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GCS  (Read 1384 times)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
Re: GCS
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 03:24:31 am »

You can zoom in on an object from the stocks screen. You know that, right?

Not if it doesn't let you. Seems you cant zoom a stealthed object, even if stocks say it's there.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 04:12:30 am »

i have seen GCS only once- at the end of a chasm, on the surface outside the chasm. both the spider and its web were stealthed until some wandering cats found em. turned out i had TWO of em, a fact i found when the reclaim team went in. the original 7 all died from the spider walking over to where i had dug the fortress entrance. it was a smaller map (4x4).

The two spiders you found upon reclaim might not have all been there from the beginning. More likely, there originally was one, who ate your original 7, and then upon the reclaim, the game's replenishing of wildlife and underground life added a second GCS.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 05:26:57 am »

I don't know if the prescence of (hidden) GCS web guarantees the prescence of GCS..
It depends on how persistent the webs are... I wonder if those webs are spun during worldgen...
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 08:32:58 am »

I was talking about those bits of web that sit on the chasm or pit ledges. These are generally a good sign that a GCS is there. I had two clusters of these in my current fort, one of them I gathered some of, the second cluster seems to have dissapeared, possibly due to vermin hitting them. However, as I said before, having them is not a guarantee that they are there, but since I upped the longevity of GCS, the chances are definetly higher.

I know its not outside since migrants and goblins have passed by the open area of the bottomless pit many times.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 08:35:32 am »

I don't know if the prescence of (hidden) GCS web guarantees the prescence of GCS..
It depends on how persistent the webs are... I wonder if those webs are spun during worldgen...

I think something akin to that can happen.

I once modded in a civ made up of Giant Cave Spiders (they are FUN). On my first embark, my heart stopped when I saw the entire forest covered in giant cave spider webs. However, Dwarf Companion said there wasn't a single one on the map...

Edit: And, for posterity, I checked all the webs. They said that they were giant cave spider webs, and were worth 120 *, which is what they are normally worth in my game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:27:24 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 09:20:03 am »

You have to watch out for normal cave spider webs (and phantom spiders, if you're in an evil forest). They can be decieving.

Anyone know a good way to 'farm' GCS webs? I figured the first step is to catch the evil fella, but he'll probably end up killing somebody, so I can't tame him. I had an idea involving shoving her in a little pillbox with a fortification on one side, and dropping some kittens on restrains on the other. Will the GCS shoot webs through the fortification? Or do I have to try and create something more complex dwarven?

Nerdgasmic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 10:35:15 am »

Just to correct whoever said otherwise on the first page, GCS do not breed unless you mod their raws to allow it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51:26 am »

You have to watch out for normal cave spider webs (and phantom spiders, if you're in an evil forest). They can be decieving.

Anyone know a good way to 'farm' GCS webs? I figured the first step is to catch the evil fella, but he'll probably end up killing somebody, so I can't tame him. I had an idea involving shoving her in a little pillbox with a fortification on one side, and dropping some kittens on restrains on the other. Will the GCS shoot webs through the fortification? Or do I have to try and create something more complex dwarven?

Search around for silk farming and GCS silk, or any combination of those. There are several threads scattered around the Dwarf Mode discussion area as well as the questions section.

If the GCS is in a good spot, you can try and lure the thing into some cage traps with animals. It took me a few trys by 'breadcrumbing' animals to make it get into the traps since it either didn't take the bait or the bait animal moved. It worked successfully.

Check out my DFMA map http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7205-towerwebbed , go down a bit and you'll see the bunch of holes that I made for animal pitting. The traps and stuff are long gone, but I think you get the idea.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 05:33:35 pm »

The only thing to remember with GCS is that they only throw webs into someone they can path to, even if they cannot actually reach it. Knowing that, it's pretty easy starting silk farming.

Doing it without FUN is a little harder though.
Pages: 1 [2]