Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last update over 1 year ago?  (Read 2087 times)

smokingkipper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Last update over 1 year ago?
« on: December 10, 2009, 08:04:33 am »

Hi guys, just signed up after reading about this game.  Is the website out of date, or was the last playable release well over 12 months ago?

Thanks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last update over 1 year ago?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:09:10 am »

Yes. However, there's an optimised version available here.

Next official release should be within the next few months.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 08:20:34 am »

Welcome to the forums! :)

You can read about the current development status here.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:31 pm »

You can read about the current development status here.

You can also read the development log here.  The link Vince posted above gives you the best overview of upcoming features, but the dev log has a lot of cool specifics.

Progress on the next version has been brisk recently.  It'll probably be out in January.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:31:12 pm »

Hi guys, just signed up after reading about this game.  Is the website out of date, or was the last playable release well over 12 months ago?

Thanks

Almost, there is a version with optimized use of opengl with a decent boost in performance.

We are also expecting the next release soon, probably in January, give or take.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:51 pm »

Don't worry about the delay. Toady (the only developer... amazing, isn't it) has been in contact with the community, the next version is simply such a huge upgrade from the current one that it's taking longer than normal to finish.

In the meantime, the game is very heavily moddable, so when you get tired of vanilla, you can change everything by replacing a few easily changeable files.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:47:45 pm »

Heh, I had the same experience as the OP. Found the game, got into it via tutorial, then was utterly dismayed when I found the last release was over a year ago.

Was good to find that the community was thriving and another update on the way ;) .
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:25:10 pm »

It's been a good while since the last version but Toady's been pretty good about keeping us up to date on the next one.  Every day it seems a new item gets greened out and now there's only a handful left.  Five actually before he starts finalizing it.  What was it, like 200 items he had to start with?  Yeah.  It won't be long now.  Hang in there.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 06:49:18 pm »

It's been a good while since the last version but Toady's been pretty good about keeping us up to date on the next one.  Every day it seems a new item gets greened out and now there's only a handful left.  Five actually before he starts finalizing it.  What was it, like 200 items he had to start with?  Yeah.  It won't be long now.  Hang in there.

When Toady started counting down on whatever we're calling the next version, the list had 1295 items.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »

He meant the capital-L List, the items of which don't have a one-to-one correspondence with those of the old countdown.  828 countdown items got squeezed into ~200 list items.