Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen Parameters - Some things I've found out  (Read 607 times)

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen Parameters - Some things I've found out
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:17:27 pm »

I was wondering if anyone else has done any attempts at altering the world gen parameters beyond the in-game alterable limits, and doing things like setting river generation to 2000, or max altitude to 700?  (Not recommended btw, nearly nowhere to embark)

Here's a list of what I've done. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note.  On a core i7 at 2.3GHz, map generation can take upwards of two hours, with the majority of it spent on a rejection just starting 'Running rivers' (the mountain reject), and on Importing wildlife.  (due to the stupid number of biomes I think)

Any thoughts on how I can further increase huge river canyons, up the chaoticness of the map, and reduce the small number of lakes that form?
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Parameters - Some things I've found out
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »

Yeah, people have done the "edit worldgen directly to bypass numerical limits" thing before.

All I can say on the subject of making the map more "chaotic" is cranking the variances up as much as possible and turning off rejects, but it looks like you already found that (as well as the annoying bug that causes worlds to reject even if you turned off all the reject parameters).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Parameters - Some things I've found out
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:04:28 pm »

Aha.  I wasn't sure, as there wasn't very much mention of such on the wiki.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.