Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma does not travel through floor grates  (Read 969 times)

Deozaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Miasma does not travel through floor grates
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:42:03 pm »

In Fortress Mode I created a refuse room with holes in the ceiling so that the miasma could escape into the air above. The refuse room was actually a couple of storeys high, all under the surface. Because I didn't want any creature to fall down to one of the lower floors (or several floors down from the surface) I covered the air holes with floor grates.

Now water can get in, but air/miasma cannot get out.

It's been a long time since I played DF, so I don't know if I've experienced this problem with the latest version, but after doing a search on the bug reports/fixes and known issues and seeing nothing about miasma not flowing through floor grates, I think this issue may still exist in the current version.

Please fix this bug. Thanks for the awesome game.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma does not travel through floor grates
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:15:40 am »

These holes with grates covering them. Do they lead outside? Miasma will never go outside, which might be the answer.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:22:13 pm »

Actually, miasma can go outside if it starts close enough, though it will never start outside.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:50:17 pm »

Really? Because I had miasma start inside, and then just mysteriously stopping right at the entrance to my fort, just not going outside.
Hmmm. Maybe what I saw was just a coincidence.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:31:58 pm »

Yeah, I've certainly had the forbidden chunks of kobold thieves spew miasma out into the outside world before.

It's amazing how many chunks you can get out of a kobold when you have 20 untrained dogs hanging around your entrance...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Deozaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »

These holes with grates covering them. Do they lead outside? Miasma will never go outside, which might be the answer.

As I said, it's been a while (maybe a year or so) since I played DF so this was probably an older version, but at the time, after I removed the floor grates, the miasma would travel through the ceiling several storeys high and then into the outside where it would billow around quite a bit and eventually dissipate.

It was very much outside and it didn't magically disappear once it got there. I thought it would just float up and up and up and wouldn't be a problem but it got so bad sometimes that after floating two levels up from the surface (I had it enclosed in walls to keep it away from dwarves on the ground nearby) it would flow over the walls and back down to ground surface.

I think I still have the game saved somewhere but I don't know if it would be compatible with the latest DF since I don't remember what version it was. I can't rebuild it right now to test it out because it would take too long to start up a fortress and dig out all the areas and accumulate the refuse to produce all that miasma. It was basically two 10x10 areas stacked on top of each other and every tile was covered in refuse. The ground above billowed out miasma like an industrial factory. It was very stinky.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:29:49 pm »

I think I still have the game saved somewhere but I don't know if it would be compatible with the latest DF since I don't remember what version it was.

"Saves from v0.27.169.32a+ are compatible."  32a was the first 3D release, so anything from a 3D version is compatible with the newest version.  Get 40d from that link and load 'er up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:39:46 pm by Footkerchief »