Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dual Monitors  (Read 3604 times)

Reddit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dual Monitors
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:33:30 pm »

Hey, searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer (maybe I'm just a bad searcher)...

Anyhow, I want to run a second monitor, but when I go fullscreen with DF it turns the second monitor black and I cannot move my cursor to it.

How have people gotten around this?

Thanks!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Monitors
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »

Instead of fullscreen, try using a windowed resolution that approaches it(and, if you're using 40d, scale up  your tile dimensions to suit; in 40d## this is done automatically); that's about all I can suggest in the short term.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Reddit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 05:41:41 pm »

Thanks for the response -  it still is unplayable for me at that level (window is too small).  I guess I'll just have to suck it up and alt-tab around for now!

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 07:39:27 pm »

You can scale tile sizes up, can't you?
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:08:34 pm »

I'm unclear how fullscreen is any better than a big window. There's a 20x20 tileset on the Wiki; with your font set to that, the MINIMUM window resolution would be 1600x500, and you can certainly make it bigger just by giving more tiles(which increases your playable view anyway, although not all things work intelligently with this). What are your settings like, that your window is too small?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:54:06 pm »

Thanks for the response -  it still is unplayable for me at that level (window is too small).  I guess I'll just have to suck it up and alt-tab around for now!
You can get a tileset with larger font size (16x16 is standard for that, and included with the game in the data/art folder), edit the grid size of the window with the init.txt (in data/init), and increase the window size (also with the init.txt).  And as mentioned, if you have the latest 40d# version (not the one linked to on the main DF page; the one linked to at the top of the forum page) you can simply click and drag the edges of the window to expand it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Reddit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 10:32:28 pm »

Excellent.  For anyone else searching for this same problem, expanding to a 20x20 tileset by putting it in your graphics folder works, and then just changing the name of the file and the resolution in init.txt works.

Thanks for everyone's help - this is a great solution, and I now can run DF on a 23" monitor with Dwarf Manager in another screen.

Cheers!  Time for Fun...

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:56:44 pm »

Maybe a bit offtopic, but running 2 df windows on 2 monitors would be quite cool. To view multiple z-levels at once for example.

Hoping this will be implemented sometime (faaar in the future...)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 02:50:06 am »

As mentioned, the real gold is running df in one monitor and a helper program on the other.  why just the other day i was taking advantage of my shiny new second monitor to run stonesense right alongside dwarf fortress. dwarf manager is a good choice too though.  One thing I have noticed, however...DF in fullscreen mode pauses when the focus shifts to another program, but it doesn't if df is not in full screen.  This can maybe be modified in the raws, but it's something to keep in mind.