Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unprovoked Elf Ambushes  (Read 844 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unprovoked Elf Ambushes
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:09:21 am »

I know elves get pissed if you cut down a lot of trees but not once have they ever sent a diplomat to my last three fortresses.  I'll be minding my own business, usually around year three when suddenly 15+ elves pop out of no where and start killing all my dwarfs.

Only recently was I able to start planning for these random ambushes by mass producing war dogs to accompany every single outdoors dwarf, and I focus on slathering all my dwarf heavy areas with traps.  Just because I've come to expect these random, and disturbingly intense and powerful ambushes I focus on outrageous defensive precautions now more than anything.

I just want to know why the elves seem to start off hating me.  I don't even cut down *that* many trees I don't think.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Unprovoked Elf Ambushes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:27:29 am »

Check your (c)iv screen - are you at war with them? (hover over your own civ and see if there's a "P" or "W" next to the Elves)
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:39:17 pm »

It's possible the elves are goblins. Or rather, that they are a part of the goblin civilization. The Goblins are ambushing you, it's just they're sending elves to do it.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:12:34 pm »

I've seen elven children leading goblin ambushes. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »

It's possible the elves are goblins. Or rather, that they are a part of the goblin civilization. The Goblins are ambushing you, it's just they're sending elves to do it.

I dunno. Since invaders are almost always generated for the instance of the invasion, the baby-snatched are generally confined to the roles of leaders, while the rest of the squad will be newly generated members of the invader race. In my experience fighting off baby-snatching humans and goblins, I've never seen a squad composed entirely of baby-snatched. Thus, I'd say that odds are the OP is actually experiencing elf attacks.

Do you have nobility yet? But more likely your civs were at war during worldgen. It's certainly quite common for them to fight over things like cannibalism.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:22:24 pm »

It's certainly quite common for them to fight over things like cannibalism.

You're saying that elves are declaring war on civs for not eating humanoids? That is some of the funniest shit I've heard.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »

It's certainly quite common for them to fight over things like cannibalism.

You're saying that elves are declaring war on civs for not eating humanoids?

More like the dwarves and humans are declaring war on the elves because the elves do eat humanoids, and both humans and dwarves find such an act unthinkable.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »

More like the dwarves and humans are declaring war on the elves because the elves do eat humanoids

That's what I would have thought, normally, but the former poster's wording suggested the opposite.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »

Uh, no, all it said was that being at war with the elves is common, not that the elves were the ones to declare it.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 05:38:27 pm »

Uh, no, all it said was that being at war with the elves is common, not that the elves were the ones to declare it.

Now I see it. Somehow, I got it into my head that he said "It's certainly quite common for elves to fight over things like cannibalism.", and not "them", meaning civs at large.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 09:21:47 pm »

Now I see it. Somehow, I got it into my head that he said "It's certainly quite common for elves to fight over things like cannibalism.", and not "them", meaning civs at large.
Yeah i saw what you saw too.
I am so modding them for going into war with other civs for not being cannabals.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!