Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 589 times)

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pets
« on: December 06, 2009, 07:27:40 pm »

While messing around with making a Grizzly Bear mount for the dwarves, I put the tag [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [BEAR] in the creature profile, then put [COMMON_DOMESTIC_BEAR] in the entity profile.  Grizzly bears then showed up on the embark items menu.

Is that a really weird thing to do, or does it work to make new categories of common domestics like that?

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pets
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:36:07 pm »

Well I barely know any of this modding stuff, but im pretty sure you basically said, this bear is now a domestic animal. and domestics can be obtained through embark menu.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:32 pm »

You mean you added [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to the bear's creature file?

That alone made bears into a common domestic animal, just like cats and dogs. The Mountain entity has the tags needed to use common domestic animals by default, so with just that you could bring bears as domestic animals.

The [BEAR] tag in the creature file is a nonsense tag that the game is probably spitting out an error in the errorlog.txt file (in the main DF folder) and otherwise ignoring. Likewise with [COMMON_DOMESTIC_BEAR].
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:06 am »

I was wondering if that was the case.  It just struck me as odd that it worked at all.

Okay, so I guess the specific tags like [WAGON_PULLER] aren't strictly necessary.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:00:15 pm »

Well... A specific tag is needed, but [PET] is sufficient, and most if not all real-world creatures have that in vanilla, including all forms of bear. All that tag does by itself is make the animal tameable; it's only when combined with [COMMON_DOMESTIC] that it becomes available on embark and for order from the Mountainhomes and humans.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!