Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions, starting locations, etc.  (Read 670 times)

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions, starting locations, etc.
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:49:06 am »

On a recent DF game, I was lucky enough to find an area with both a large magma flow, and a river. What surprised me even more was the fact that the area had absolutely amazing deposits of gold ore. At least five veins right out in the open, and many, many more intersected during digging. Within days, gold stocks had skyrocketed into the hundreds. Even common peasents were eating off masterwork golden tables, while staring lovingly at masterwork golden statues. The mayor's office was a 3x3 room that also had 'royal' status on his requirement lists. Gold was flowing out of every wall in the fortress.

Unfortunately, the obscene wealth of my new fortress also meant it attracted vast ammounts of migrants, which in turn starved us to death, and caused a tantrum fit. The fortress died about three years after it was made, richer thenn sin, and as starved as a corpse. Now I've lost where it is again. Beh.

Anyway, my questions are thus. . .

I want to start a new fortress with another magma vent, and a river. However, I don't know how to find a magma vent without using the location tool. My fortressess tend to be big (11x11 starting tiles), but is there a way of seeing if there is a vent on my starting location before embarking? Also, I've recently downloaded Tweak for the game, but it dosn't work. Could somebody send me a tweak file that works with the latest Dwarf Fortress edition?

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions, starting locations, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:42 am »

You shouldn’t need a such a large area, the finder should be able to find an area with a river, underground river, chasm, and magma pipe on 7,7 square.  I do not believe there is a good way to determine if an area has a magma pipe/vent less the finder.   I wish I was as lucky as you, I have only found gold once in all my forts and it was a small vain of it.  Though I did have a fortress where the primary stone was marble (that was fun fort).
You should be able to set the finder to an 11 by 11 square and search for everything you need though.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:06:36 am »

When it comes to finding magma, look for igneous extrusive layers (andesite, basalt, felsite, obsidian, rhyolite) and metamorphic layers (quartzite, slate, phyllite, schist, gneiss, marble). Once you've embarked, look for hills/cliffs not surrounded by ramps (a lack of which determines that there's a pipe directly underneath) and random obsidian areas.

If you can't be bothered with that, just make the map features always visible in the init file.

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:44:14 am »

Thank you. How exactly do I set map features always visible, though?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:54:43 am »

Find the SHOW_EMBARK... block and replace the whole thing with this:

Code: [Select]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:26:06 pm »

Find the SHOW_EMBARK... block and replace the whole thing with this:

Code: [Select]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]
Pool for a pool of water underground
river for an underground river
M pool for a magma pool
m pipe for a magma pipe
pit for bottomless pit
chasm for a chasm
tunnel for tunnels that usually hook up to goblin fortresses
other for circus peanuts and the circus.

If you didnt know...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!