Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not moving items to stockpile  (Read 8246 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not moving items to stockpile
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:33:57 am »

I wanted to encrust some shields with gems, so I set up a jewler's workshop, with a stocpile beside it. I set the stockpile to accept only steel shileds of core quality exceptional or masterwork, set it to take from my armour stockpile, (in which there is one exceptional and one masterwork steel shield). And so I wait for the dwarves to move the shield into the stockpile by the jeweler's workshop.

But they won't, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Is there something I'm missing about stockpiles?
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not moving items to stockpile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:44:46 am »

I usually recreate the stockpile I'm having problems with when this happens to me.  One other thing, and I don't know why this would be, but check to see if the shield is being used in any current task.  That might also prevent them from moving it.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:05:48 pm »

This has been happening to me too.
Trying to create the ever-burning lignite block in steel bin, i lock in a room the steel bin, a lignite block and a dwarf(with hauling tasks enabled), then proceed to create a bar/block stockpile in that room. The dwarf puts the bin in the stock pile, but does not put the block in the bin.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:33:06 pm »

Happens to me right now. I have a large stack of goods lying about after I dismantled a Trade Depot, and no one's touching any of it. My 13 haulers are either doing other things, or milling about with "No Job".

I'll try removing and replacing the stockpiles, as advised, and see if that works.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 05:08:02 pm »

One more thing, do you have any other stockpiles currently taking from the stockpile the shields are in?

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »

Did you set the stockpile it's in now to reject items of that quality? That always works for me.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 03:51:53 am »

I suspect that your problem involves bins containing different items.  I haven't studied it closely, but here's how I believe it works:

1.  A bin can only be accepted into a stockpile if each item inside it can be accepted.  So if you tighten a stockpile's requirements you can accidentally kick an entire bin out of the stockpile because one item in the bin doesn't qualify.  And you won't realize that the bin has been kicked out because it's still sitting on a stockpile square.  But the game considers that bin to be loose change that just happens to be sitting on a foreign stockpile, waiting to find a proper home.

2.  If a bin isn't accepted into a stockpile, then you can't do much with the contents.  You definitely can't move the contents into another stockpile.  I'm not sure if dwarves can use the contents, such as to put on armor or wield a weapon, but it wouldn't surprise me if they can't.  Items in a homeless bin are pretty thoroughly inaccessible.

3.  So you have two possible solutions to your armor problem:

a)  The Usual Way.  Put a stockpile under your mixed bin with settings broad enough to encompass everything in the bin.  Then set up a second narrower stockpile to take the item that you want.  Then set your "take".

b)  A Clever Way.  Have your soldiers strip, forbid all your other armor, and then tell one of your soldiers to get dressed.  See if he'll pull the armor out of the homeless bin.  Then have him strip again.  Now the armor should be free of the bin, and your dwarves should move it to your target stockpile.  If you try this, tell me if it worked.  I'm curious.