Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mindflayers: "All we wanna do is eat your brains!"  (Read 1273 times)

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mindflayers: "All we wanna do is eat your brains!"
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:50:19 pm »

I developed a Mindflayer sieger race for use in Dwarf Fortress.

Main Features:

1. They wield weapons in their tentacles, can eat your brains, and will eat enough brains of your children to brainwash them into their military.

2. They use the "elegant" weapons, bows, swords, pikes, and maces, with the occasional whip or scourge.

3. They will Thieve and Babysnatch, as well as siege. Their better soldiers will be equipped with Steel, and are just as dangerous without weapons as with them.

4. They are very very intelligent, and very very brutal. They can and will pick your locks and avoid your traps.

I've done a good amount of testing (Both in world gen and Fortress mode), and I can attest that they work quite nicely.

So, here's how to add them:

Add this to the creature_standard file in the raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Add this to the entity_default file, also in the raws

And add this to the body_default page

I was considering writing them a new language, but I'd like to get some input before I got as far as that.

After you add this, you will have to gen a new world, as that's the only way to add a new civilization.

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mindflayers: "All we wanna do is eat your brains!"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »

Shameless plug: If your thinking about writing a language for your race, you can't go wrong with the language creator I wrote (Click Here)

Shameless plug aside, Your mod looks really cool.  I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like it could inject some serious FUN.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:13:21 am »

It's a bit weird that they wield weapons with  tentacles. Other than that, it's pretty cool. I have made them too in my Faerun mod, and they were funny to play.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:23:05 am »

I agree with the above, they have hands and should use them for weapons ;)

Also,  I theres a way to let creatures attack with their minds with BYTYPE:THOUGHT. It sounds fitting! Its just a pity you cant have that attack only a specific bodypart.

Having them have [POWER] could be interesting as well. Could that cause them to worship themselves?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 03:28:07 am »

If you want to stick to mindflayer Lore, tentacles should each get a piercing attack if they loose their weapons.
!!&!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:28:36 am »

BYTOKEN:BRAIN works just fine.

And yes that's what  I did and it works well.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:37:58 am »

A new language only requires you to run a language generation program once. There should be one in the forums that's easy to use, and once you have it, you can give all your custom races different languages.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 02:23:05 pm »

Their better soldiers will be equipped with Steel, and are just as dangerous without weapons as with them.

So why do they have them?

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:57:07 pm »

Their better soldiers will be equipped with Steel, and are just as dangerous without weapons as with them.

So why do they have them?

Partly for theme purposes, those with Bows are dangerous at a range, and partly to change their attack type. As fun as Gore damage is, Slicing damage is more effective, and as is bludgeoning to a lesser extent. Plus, having weapons means that they train another skill, which means higher stats. Basically what I meant was that disarming them should you catch one doesn't make them harmless.

Also, they did originally use weapons with their hands, but at the last second a playtester told me it would be way more awesome if they used their tentacles. The ones in my personal game use their hands.