Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luring  (Read 621 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Luring
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:02:04 pm »

I have a question for the dwarfs out there.

In Dwarf Fortress, say I want to use a military unit to go attract a large group and then instead of engaging them, run to an area I've got planned out.

How would I order the unit to go close enough to piss the things off, then turn tail and run to an area I need him at?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Luring
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:36:00 pm »

You can try setting the dwarf to stay close to his station, and then stationing him near enough that the enemy start to move towards him, and then ordering him to move back to a safe point, or where the ambush, trap, etc are.

I've done this before.

You can't do this automatically, I think, unless patrols somehow work.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:41 am »

You can try setting the dwarf to stay close to his station, and then stationing him near enough that the enemy start to move towards him, and then ordering him to move back to a safe point, or where the ambush, trap, etc are.

I've done this before.

You can't do this automatically, I think, unless patrols somehow work.

Patrol routes work. I use them to let my crossbowdwarves patrol the rows of fortifications.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:16:10 am »

*another person who wants to know how to lure*

yeah but do they just attack when they see an enemy insight instead of carrying on with the patrol route.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »

Glass windows?

The enemy can see through, and might decide to 'chase' him (as long as there is a valid path). But you can make the valid path a lot longer than the sight lines.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:31:46 pm »

Combat, especially ambushes and sieges, are pretty much just a major annoyance right now in DF. According to a DF Talk, Today One has rather big plans for combat, and the next release will apparently feature more solid squad control, but for now, it's more about just setting up stations and patrol routes and praying that everyone will be where they're supposed to be when the **** hits the fan, because gods know no one will do what they're supposed to when the enemy shows up.

My cats got butchered some time ago because they were attacked right outside the gate and preferred to flee into the wilderness towards another pack of goblins instead of into safety.

My fortifications are more often than not for naught because my troops just charge the enemy first chance they get. I can't lock them inside because raising drawbridges and locking doors breaks the invader AI, which I feel is cheating.

Etc. etc. etc. Bottom line is, it's an alpha version. It's not supposed to work right at this stage.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:41:00 pm »

station him next to the invaders. When he gets close enough that they move to engage him, deactivate ur dwarf from the military.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »

station him next to the invaders. When he gets close enough that they move to engage him, deactivate ur dwarf from the military.

Damn was too late, just thought about this last night but had to get off :P.

Meh, will try it anyway.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »

When he get some distance between them, re-add him in the military so you can make him go where you want and not random wilderness
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?