Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about webs.  (Read 784 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Question about webs.
« on: December 02, 2009, 01:03:41 pm »

I just embarked in an area with GCS.

There are webs everywhere.

2 minutes later...

There are webs and vermin corpses everywhere.

Was it the webs that killed the vermin?

Also, what's the quantum quiver trick I keep hearing about?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:08:22 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about webs.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:21:26 pm »

Webs killing vermin: Cats kill vermin too.  Sounds like you need a refuse pile to get the vermin corpses out of your fort.

Quantum Quiver: Never heard of it.  Will be watching this thread for the answer!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:39:44 pm »

I don't *think* webs kill vermin, but I could be wrong. Cats, of course, do it. And if you don't have "gather outside refuse" on and an available stockpile they'll just leave them wherever.

"Quantum" in DF usually refers to stacking an infinite number of a thing in one square, instead of spread out over a stockpile. Most often one would set a single tile dump zone and dump a large area of rocks. Once they're all dumped, you just d->b->c (mass reclaim) the tile. All of them (hundreds? thousands? every rock on the map?) end up in one tile for either easy access from an adjacent workshop or "disposal" with a bridge(atom smasher).

I'd assume a quantum quiver would be the same thing but with bolts, though I've never actually heard the term before. The benefits are the saving in space and potentially shorter traveling time to get more stacks of bolts after the first.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:43:39 pm »

I'd assume a quantum quiver would be the same thing but with bolts, though I've never actually heard the term before. The benefits are the saving in space and potentially shorter traveling time to get more stacks of bolts after the first.

I tried that, and it doesn't work. The stacks stay separate.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:37 pm »

Quantum quiver refers to a bug where marksdwarves set to active while training will put the bolts in their hand in their quiver. So Urist McMarksdwarf goes to practice his marksdwarfship, gets activated, and drops 40 goblin bone bolts in his quiver. He then is deactivated, grabs 40 more goblin bone bolts, and heads for the target. This repeats until he either runs out of bolts or is allowed to stay in one state or another. Because marksdwarves practice with bolts in their hand, those bolts will sit in their quiver until dumped or used in combat.

The main advantage is that you can have a single marksdwarf with hundreds of bolts on him. It's a bug, and should be fixed next version.

Check the webs with the 'k' command. Are the Cave Spider, Phantom Spider, or Giant Cave Spider silk webs. My guess is, they're normal cave spiders and the vermin corpses are your cats hunting them to death, but I dunno.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:05:28 pm »

Actually, I have no cats.

And the corpses aren't cave spiders. (The only ones I can see are a cardinal and a two-legged rhino lizard)

And the webs are actually Giant Wolf Spider silk, so I'm screwed. (Orc Mod

EDIT- Caught one in my cage trap (I turned off their TRAPAVOID so I could survive) and tamed it, BUT...

It won't become a War Giant Wolf Spider.

It isn't caged, I have a dwarf performing the labor, but the spider just keeps walking away, back to my meeting hall, before the job can be completed and I can have a doom spider.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:45:00 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:10:29 pm »

Vermin can get trapped in webs. You'll frequently see olm and bat and other vermin remains on the same tile as a web.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »

Vermin can get trapped in webs. You'll frequently see olm and bat and other vermin remains on the same tile as a web.

That answers that question.

Now what to do about the (apparently) pacifistic spider...

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »

Either train a military and kill the spider, or try dropping some stone on them (create a cave-in above the cavern).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:31:25 pm »

Either train a military and kill the spider, or try dropping some stone on them (create a cave-in above the cavern).

Why? It's tame, it just won't become a war spider.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:33:10 pm »

Just be patient with the training. Sometimes animals you're trying to train for war like to repeatedly wander off, causing the animal trainer to wait there for a long time.

Try moving your kennel closer to your meeting zone.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:59 pm »

Just be patient with the training. Sometimes animals you're trying to train for war like to repeatedly wander off, causing the animal trainer to wait there for a long time.

Try moving your kennel closer to your meeting zone.

I got rid of my meeting zone, the spider went to my kennel, and immediately, An animal has become a Stray War Giant Wolf Spider.

Now to see whether it can kill the Giant Eagle that's been harassing my mason...