Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Metabolism - Anaerobic?  (Read 5062 times)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metabolism - Anaerobic?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 02:32:11 pm »

First their alcohol doesnt need to be a liquid as we see it but more of a paste made with dwarven saliva or liquid condensation drawn from the very air itself. Your not factoring in the air exposure all dwarves have some time in their life--dwarven skin could be covered with a super efficient oxygen storing bacteria that their body later converts into air which is then recycled by their crops or ambient wall fungi. Every new immigrant brings up a huge amount of stored oxygen from their time on the surface which is then released into their closed atomosphere making a small closed weather system that sustains their own world of fungi that provides all the needed functions.

Dwarves are walking terraformers carrying everything they need to make anywhere they are into a paradise.

irreversiblycynical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »

Maybe they leave behind a bacteria or another simple lifeform that breaks down rock as they mine. If I remember correctly most minerals contain oxygen, and there are bacteria that metabolize rock. If they were bioluminescent that would also explain them being able to see underground.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:23 pm »

now lets see, the oxygen may be taken from pockets of air that exist in the rock they mine out. perhaps the plump helmets and other underground microbes can take in infrared or other forms of radiation. or my favorite theory I just came up with is that CO2 in DF is lighter than O2, therefore it rises out of the tunnel and O2 is drawn in. Maybe the concentration gradient that affects all forms of fluid dynamics in DF and presumably the universe is far more of a driving force in DF than in real life.

Okay, bear with me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that mean that Carbon has to have a negative weight?
I admit that I ditched chemistry back in 10th grade but I don't remember my physics teacher talking about negative-weight atoms in nuclear physics later.  ???

Or is there a chemical reaction that makes Oxygen shoot out some thousand electrons (since they are roughly 2000 times heavier than protons, and you got to keep the protons in their core or else Carbon won't be Carbon anymore)? I find that unlikely.

That would be cool, though. It would be like... burning Hydrogen and getting water and "pure" electricity (or negative charges at least). Maybe that's how they power their perpetual motion waterwheels.  ;D
dammit, why don't I remember this kind of stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]