Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DaggerXL: A Daggerfall fanmade remake  (Read 2409 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DaggerXL: A Daggerfall fanmade remake
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:25:43 am »

http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

I wrote a bunch of stuff but then I accidentally pressed back and lost it all. Dammit. Here is a copy/paste of his modDB page.

DaggerXL is a Modern Daggerfall Engine Recreation for current Operating Systems and hardware – essentially it is a remake in the spirit of a port. It will ultimately fully emulate the game of Daggerfall and then optionally enhance it by refining existing features and adding new gameplay elements that were originally intended.

DaggerXL makes use of hardware acceleration providing higher resolutions, color depth, greatly improved visibility, better texture filtering, enhanced performance and more. In addition DaggerXL will support full modability, similar to more modern Elder Scrolls games, using custom tools.

The original Daggerfall data is used, so the full game is required. Custom mods can then be applied to optionally enhance the graphics, sound or music.

He's been working on it for one year now. Basically, modable Daggerfall that doesn't need DOSbox to run.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: DaggerXL: A Daggerfall fanmade remake
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:56:31 am »

I've been following this and it looks really promising. Kind of surprised it's not been posted here before.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:59:17 am »

I've also been following this for a while, he was making it before Bethesda released it for free. I think it shows his determination, I mean he'd be making a project and releasing it to a rather limited audience.

That said I love Daggerfall and DaggerXL looks to expand on it's already awesomeness and add stability, hopefully it will fix all of Daggerfall's many bugs and of course moddability.

Whilst I enjoy the 'retro' graphics and the pixelated look, I would definitely be interested what it could look like with 3d models. But what I am most looking forward to is new features such as real time sailing, and I hope better thief mechanics.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:39:42 am »

Bethesda releasing it for free should only increase his audience as you need the resource files (graphics, sound etc) to run his improved version.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:50:29 pm »

Nice! Hopefully someone will create high quality textures for the game.