Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "melt" ice without magma trick  (Read 782 times)

Zander J

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Philosopher
    • View Profile
The "melt" ice without magma trick
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:38:37 pm »

i'm on a map that is maybe 60% ice on the surface, and is completely flat (all on one z-level). there is no source of water on the map so i need to turn the ice into water without using magma. I'm trying to use the trick on the wiki but for the life of me, all i can make is a few puddles that my dorfs promptly clean up. for the record, i'm digging out a room in an ice level, digging an identical room beneath that room, then channeling the edges of the upper room. the room either stays as is, or collapses and and splashes into the next room. i am NOT getting the "water floating in open space" effect. how can i make water on this map? ??? thanks for any help
Quote from: Toady One on January 21, 2012, 09:22:43 pm

Dwarves are still stupid.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "melt" ice without magma trick
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:59:47 pm »

I have successfully produced water by collapsing some natural ice walls indoors; the hard part was finding a spot where there are two levels of ice walls, since the top level had to be dug out to detach the lower one from support. It was a while ago, though, and I only did it once, so I can't really spell out all the details of what will or won't work.
It sounds like you're trying to just drop some ice floors. I suspect that won't work and you're not going to be able to make any water at all.
That really shouldn't cause problems, though. Just don't run out of booze, and either don't let any dwarves get hurt or be sure not to build any beds. Drinking water is pretty unnecessary.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 03:29:57 pm »

Getting water to melt from ice isn't that difficult, once you know how to do it. I'll show you a way. You must have two layers of ice in order for this to work, so if you don't, look elsewhere for your water.

Code: [Select]

. = dig designation
^ = ramp designation
_ = channel designation

z+0, ground level

z-1
#######
#_____#
#_..._#
....._#
#_..._#
#_____#
#######

z-2
#######
#.....#
#.###.#
#.###.#
#.###.#
#.....#
#######

z-3

#######
#^^^^^#
#^...^#
.^...^#
#^...^#
#^^^^^#
#######

z-4
#######
#######
##^^^##
##^^^##
##^^^##
#######
#######

Once you've designated all of this, channel out the last remaining bit of floor holding the ice in place on z-1. The water should fall into the neat 3x3 ramp area you dug out, and it will melt into water after a little time.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:58:10 pm »

Remember that in order to generate actual water, you need to drop natural ice walls down into a non-freezing layer. Dropping ice stones won't work, nor will dropping ice floors. The puddles you're getting are the result of melting ice stones, and they aren't usable for anything.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Zander J

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:10:46 pm »

thank you so much jim, the plan worked perfectly. now here's something very bizarre. my dwarves rushed over to give water to my injured champion, then kept on walking away for some reason. i see a miner standing by the well with a bucket in his hands, not moving. very odd. i had to draft him to get him to move. then, checking the unit screen, i find that my injured champion is now fully healed  ::) i'll have to see if the well works in the future. thanks again!
Quote from: Toady One on January 21, 2012, 09:22:43 pm

Dwarves are still stupid.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »

Your miner is probably pulling water out of the well, at which point it is in a freezing area, so it freezes. Then the miner says "Whups, didn't get any water, let's try again" and pulls more water, and it freezes, repeat ad infinitum. This was reported as a bug fairly recently. Make certain that your dwarves' access to the pond is not on a freezing layer.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels