Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do drawbridges break caravan AI? (also sporadic updates and ravings)  (Read 999 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester

Did a search for this, didn't find anything.

So I'm playing the Play-Along Tutorial fortress (see stuck thread), and again I'm experiencing a problem that I also had with another fortress - if I build a trade depot behind a drawbridge and raise the draw bridge, it seems to break the caravan AI - the wagons stop, as do the merchants, and even if they do make it to the depot (last wagon started moving again when I raised the drawbridge behind it), it still says "No traders trading at this depot" or whatever, and eventually the caravan leaves  :-\ . In the screenshot below, raising the drawbridge also stopped the merchant from moving towards the depot, even though there's another way in and I've lowered the drawbridge.

dumb_caravan.jpg

Is there a way I can prevent this? Will it not happen if I wait until the caravan has offloaded its goods before I raise the bridge?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:15:31 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Do drawbridges break caravan AI?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:24:08 am »

The depot has mysteriously filled with miasma. Serves the morons right.

(seems it was caused by a piece of cheese they'd brought along that for some reason had started to rot)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:26:40 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:29:12 am »

Another caravan, another 'traffic jam': Dwarves refuse to bring their wagons all the way in. Might be because those goddamned humans never got around to leave, even though the Yellow Text said they had embarked on their journey or whattheheck.

Edit: no, wait, the dwarves just abruptly left... the humans are still there, though...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:33:26 am by Safe-Keeper »

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:52:52 am »

Had a couple merchants tucked away in the SW corner, refusing to leave, and it seems the boredom is getting too them. Even the camels have gone insane and now "run around crazed", which seems to be fluff text for "sulk in the corner".

Either way, I have now dismantled the trade depot and confiscated the goods of the humans, who have finally given up and left. This may not be taken too well by the human overlords, and Fun times may be ahead :) .

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do drawbridges break caravan AI? (also sporadic updates and ravings)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:38:51 am »

Maybe there's something in the way you can't see. Do a d-b-d over the entire depot to get your dwarves to move everything in it away. Make sure there aren't any merchants there at the time or they'll consider it stealing.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Do drawbridges break caravan AI? (also sporadic updates and ravings)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:48:09 pm »

Problems started just as I raised the drawbridge. Same deal with my previous fort with a moat - everything works fine until drawbridge is raised, then all is messed up.