Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random animal civilizations and duplicate entry errors.  (Read 712 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random animal civilizations and duplicate entry errors.
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »

Every world I generate lately winds up having random animal civilizations; from what I understand, this is caused by having duplicates in your objects folder. This is backed up by the errorlog. Just one problem though: none of the animals listed have duplicate entries anywhere in the raw folder. Anybody know what could be causing this?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Random animal civilizations and duplicate entry errors.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:00:57 pm »

You want to make sure that there are no duplicate entries across all text files in the raws folder - for example, that there isn't a dragon both in your creature_standard and your creature_subterranean file. Duplicated reactions also trigger this problem. You might also have an entire duplicated file.

What did you mod recently? There's probably something related to that.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:55:31 pm »

I currently have two different versions of DF on my computer; one is an older version that's mostly vanilla while the other is d16 with Dig Deeper, some of the Civ Forge, and the Primative Civs races added in. The latter worked fine for a few days, but has started doing this somewhat randomly.

On the chance that something had been corrupted, I deleted off everything from the DF16 folder and did a fresh install before replacing the files that I had used before. No dice as it's still doing the same thing.

The errorlog lists several problems:

Duplicate mithril entries (there is only one entry under metalgloss though I need to check the Reaction file to see if there's a duplicate under that.)
Sugar/fire/colossal/monstrous beetles are all listed as having duplicates.
Emerald/Giant Wasp are listed as duplicates.
It also lists some unknown Spheres, but I can't find a single creature with just Plant or River listed as a Sphere so I don't know where that's coming from.

Out of all the folders, only the original Insect (ordinary beetles), Insect_Extended (one each of those listed above), and each of the language files (words for beetle) have any instance of the word beetle in them though I did notice that one of the beetle entries had the same listing under the offspring category as another, which I fixed. So there aren't any duplicate entries of those. I did turn out to have a duplicate Goblin language file in there, but deleting it didn't fix anything.

One other note: the mithril error popped up early on and was indeed a duplicate entry, which I fixed. For a while, it didn't list that under the errorlog but has started doing so again later on despite the fact that no such duplication exists.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:59:34 pm »

Delete all of the files from the data/objects folder and let the game regenerate them (from raw/objects).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:25:57 pm »

Deleted the Data Objects folder; no dice.

I managed to hunt down two [TILES] token entries and fix them which has shifted the starting civ from Antmen to Humans, but I'm still getting the same nonexistent duplicate metal, duplicate creatures, and unknown sphere errors. I see some listed as Plants and Rivers, but none with just Plant or River or are those incorrect after all? "Rivers" is a recognized Sphere token, isn't it?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:13:54 am »

Just browsing the readme files for the three mods, I can see that two of them add Arctic Fox.  I located the entries and found that the two have the same tag, or whatever it is called in this modding system.

Dig Deeper: [CREATURE:FOX_ARCTIC]

Civ Forge: [CREATURE:FOX_ARCTIC]
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 06:03:20 am »

Yeah, I found that one as well.

CivForge has Arctic Fox listed under Tundra and Dig Deeper has it listed in Other Creatures Natural.

I eventually fixed the error by deleting all of the regions in the data folder (except a save file that I kept from the first modded d16 install that continued to work properly) along with everything in the data/objects folder. Apparently generating even a single region with a duplicate entry error sometimes means that future worlds will generate as if those errors still exist and the errorlog will continue to list those errors even if you fix them.

I don't know why it did that as I've fixed that sort of error before and had a world work properly from then on, but no dice with these.