Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization-specific Domestic Animals  (Read 450 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilization-specific Domestic Animals
« on: November 28, 2009, 04:18:45 pm »

I have seen people mention on several occasions that they wished it was possible to limit dwarves to use only specific domestic animals, while humans used an entirely, or at least partially, different set. However, people consistently claimed that there was no way to do such a thing; it was either races used all domestic animals, or none, and making different sets of domestic animals was thought to be impossible.

A week ago, however, I was looking through the creature and entity tokens on the wiki, and I believe I have stumbled upon a way to do just that which was thought impossible. I have found a way to make civilization-specific domestic animals!

The method is surprisingly simple:

First, I added the [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] tag to the PLAINS civilization, the humans. Then, I added the [GOOD] tag to cats, dogs, horses, cows, donkeys, mules, one- and two-humped camels, and musk oxen. Finally, I cribbed various subterranean domestic animals from the Civilization Forge mod (emerald wasps, cave crabs, giant beetles, and sugar beetles).

When I embarked, I could only embark with the subterranean animals from CivForge, and my wagon pullers were giant beetles. When the humans came, I could order the "normal" common domestic animals from them, but no other creatures, and their wagons were pulled by horses. In three years, the dwarven caravans have never carried any aboveground creatures, and the human caravans have only carried the expected creatures that they would have carried in a vanilla game.

It appears that I have managed to limit my dwarves to only subterranean creatures, and my humans' behavior and domestic animals are unchanged. I suspect that one could make several "sets" of domestic animals: common (used by everyone), subterranean, good, evil, good subterranean (which would probably use both good and subterranean as well as creatures that are both good and subterranean), evil subterranean (again, using evil, subterranean, and evil subterranean), and maybe good evil and good evil subterranean (this last would use any domestic animal, and might also have a unique set of creatures that are [GOOD], [EVIL], and [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] all at once).

I have not yet noticed any unwanted effects from this mod in a three-year fort, but there might be some that I've simply not encountered yet. Are there any problems anyone can think of with doing something like this? My thought is that I may have inadvertently made it so that camels won't spawn on non-good deserts, but at the very least the common domestic animals, like dogs, that don't spawn anywhere anyway don't seem to have any problems with this.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization-specific Domestic Animals
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:54:00 pm »

Looks like you've done it.
I think you can get around the camel problem by making some otherwise identical camels that lack [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [GOOD]. Call 'em wild camels, or just the same displayed name with a different filename. The second route will give you some wierdness if someone requests camel leather, or suchlike, but otherwise it makes sense.

Pet Cave Lobsters, here we come!